wiring question

This forum is to ask and questions or concerns in converting your Le'Sharo over to Dodge.

wiring question

Unread postby keith200b » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Im finishing up the wiring on my 3.3l conversion and I have a quick question that I hope someone can help me with. The donar was a 95 dodge intrepid. The wire diagram that I have shows pin 11 on the tcm being a red/white wire that is "hot in run, start, or off". To me it seems that I would hook this into a constant power source but all leads that are constant are labeled "hot at all times" on my diagram. Where do I go with this wire? So if you have any info to help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Keith
keith200b

Re: wiring question

Unread postby Alan Bergman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi Keith,
I don't have a Chrysler but to me it would seem to imply that the circuit would not be hot in the "accessory" position.
Does your switch have one? Might be so things like ignition components won't be hot while the key is in the accessory position for running the radio or such. Although the "off" position is puzzling.
You can bet they have a good reason for it.
Al
My "Cottage Car" is a 1985 Lesharo with a 3.8 Buick V6
Alan Bergman

Unread postby silkear » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Keith, that is the "keep alive" power source for the TCM, BCM, and Chry dash... all come off of the same Chry fuse(#17) in the original Intrepid setup... it retains the driving info/shift curves for the tranny after you have shut off the vehicle.... it will run without that connection, just will have to relearn your driving & shifting every time..
i have mine hooked to a relay, but there is a connection on the LS ignition sw for a off/lock output...
do you need that info?
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Unread postby keith200b » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:12 pm

If you could send some info on how you wired it I would appreciate it. I would like to have it connected if possible. Thanks for the info.

Keith
keith200b

Unread postby silkear » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Keith, i went back and looked at the Chry diagrams again, and the pin11 wire does not have to be to a constant power source. it only needs voltage in the start, run, & off positions, not the lock position. i double check the way mine is wired and i only provide power in the run and start positions of the ignition switch. so basically you just need a source that is hot in those two positions, run & start...
are you using the full Chry PDC and fuse box, or just the PDC?
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Unread postby Larry » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:27 pm

I too have a problem with the wiring...in this case the H-body Ignition Switch. On my first Dodge conversion, the wires were put in place to get the job done. the switch was wired while i was gone from the shop and I haven't the foggiest what wire was connected to what.
..but since then I came up with a later model (86)Intrepid 3.3 , the whole thing, engine, trans, wiring harness.. all computers ..everything. And this time a before-the-fact Chrysler Shop Manual for the make amd model of the vehicle. And then i pitched my Chilton's and Haynes manuals (worthless for a conversion)

Problem is, this time around, I want to be correct when I wire up the LeSharo ignition switch. Anyone got a good little cheat sheet showing what wires should go where? I can read the manuals and diagrams but the Dodge switch has a few more contacts than the H-body...therein lies the biggie. such as the one in the previous posting.
Complicating things is that I insist on using the stock LeSharo Ignition Switch. It is there, it worked for over 5,000+ miles on the previous conversion and it is staying
Another complication is I am using the original H-body fuse panel, wiper switches, wiper assembly, all light system switches, wiring and lighting elements, emergency flasher system cab and coach auto heaters, cab air conditioning controls and fans (all overhead units) etc. I have had no problem with any of the H-body electrical systems or components. But I might need some help with the Dodge fuses contained in the Junction Block which was not used on the first conversion. Comments Anyone?
Previously, I built a totally from-scratch instrument panel for the vehicle that worked 100% good. That was necessitated by some too-fast sending the donor to the crusher...forgot to pull the body control unit and as such, had nothing to drive the instruments and other Dodge systems. But with this great example of Southern Engineering the vehicle ran perfectly, did what it was supposed to do . This time around I will be using a stock Intrepid instrument panel plus a bunch of remote from the instrument panel gages, warning lights, switches etc
My previous conversion died of an internal cooling system failure--head gasket, cracked head or cracked block or some other sneaky thing. That’s why I sprung for the later drive train and the attempt to get it right this time around. I ain't cuttin nuthin till it goes, ain't addin no wires to "make it work", ain't short cutting no- how, no-where, no-time and hope to have, in the end,a good reliable machine th take to my Valhalla.
I do wanna thank you all, Wayne, Herschel, Emil, Jim, Silkear, John and John and Mark and so many others for being there and sharing your successful conversion data with me (us)
Once more, anyone got a quickie diagram that I can use to wire in the Dodge to LeSharo to Dodge ignition switch. And build something for the Dodge fuses on the Junction Block (Dodge control fuse panel) Sure would appreciate it y'all..
Larry Schoppe
88 Lesharo/96 Dodge Intrepid 3.3 (and a few others)
If you can find the requested stuff, send the drawing, schematic or picture to my addy at:
LeSharoRV.Com,
lsrschoppe@ail.com, or
lauri_schoppe@yahoo.com
Larry
Sitting Bull

Unread postby silkear » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 pm

Larry, i'll send you a couple of pdf files that are for the 2 Chry conversions i did.... they both use the Intrepid basic harness, but not the interior fuse panel... all the switches & control for both units are the LS original ones, connected up to use LS lights, a/c, etc...
send me an email if you have questions....
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Unread postby Larry » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:42 am

Big bo-bo on my part. My addy is lsrschoppe@aol.com---------------not @ail.com

Larry S.
Larry
Sitting Bull

Unread postby Alan Bergman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi Larry and All,
I think the very best source and also economical information for these conversions or just straight out repair info is to be found at this site:
http://www.alldatadiy.com/about_alldata/index.html
You purchase a single vehicle subscription which is only something like $25 for a year. Then you can research just about any information on that vehicle you need and then can print that section out. After getting used to using the info I always then print the section I was working on and then keep those sections in a small book which I carry in the RV. You will find the right electical diagrams for your unit complete with wire colors, junction locations, socket and plug pin numbers and shapes,
and if necessary a complete description of how certain systems work. Maybe you have questions on your cruise control for example. It will be complete with pictures and diagrams and also include troubleshooting infomation. Voltage charts, component resistances, and such.
After the first year you can resubscribe for $14 or $15 for another year. You can access from anyplace that you can use an online computer using your personal password. It is a wonderful way to get your info especially if you are traveling because if necessary you could even use the McDonalds lobby terminal or like to get info.
Anybody else who uses that info might want to say a word about it too.
Good Luck,
Al
My "Cottage Car" is a 1985 Lesharo with a 3.8 Buick V6
Alan Bergman

Unread postby thummmper » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:46 pm

early july, 2012
you guys have done what I am struggling with at present. I read in the chrysler LH service manual that the lh ignition sw is needed to transmit the on-off signal to the pcm in order to unlock the torque converter in a drive through.
I have found in 3 different circumstances that alldata.com isnt as good as a manual. they only scan some of the pages. and after a year, you still have the book and can lay it on the fender if needed. alldata's inventory is definitely lacking.
I used the lh steer column with multi switch and hazard sw. horn and cc as well. I wish I had gotten the little convertible column, as it had the twist headlight stem sw I really wanted.
I am not really sure why some are opting for the 3.3 when they can have the other.
people don't realise why pushrods were done away with in the first place-- the scuffing that occurs on the ends of the pushrods is much harsher than anywhere else in the engine, save the wrist pins. these required a 4 letter additive in the engine oil, containing a lot of tin. This oil additive was fouling cat converters and spiking smog test readings. the overhead cam rollers and larger diameter wrist pins alleviated this requirement in mineral-based engine oils.
seems the A81 circuit on the lh ign sw powers the mic during the start, so the guages don't blink until the engine is running.
It seems these kits will run with a lot of stuff disconnected, but I need to minimize the codes for my ref.
todd/carlsbad,ca.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/v6abduction/
thummmper

Next