A not-so LS adventure...

This forum is to ask and questions or concerns in converting your Le'Sharo over to Dodge.

A not-so LS adventure...

Unread postby silkear » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:45 pm

While on a quick run to Amarillo,TX from Albuquerque, NM to pick up a new Prowler transmission for the LSSE(my "Silkear") the unthinkable happened... at 65mph a fuel injector shorted, basically killing the LSSE in it's tracks.Well, it is said that not all adventures are fun, but if no one gets hurt, it's still an adventure. So at 8pm, at mile maker 41 on I-40, outside temp of 34 degrees and a NNW 20mph wind, we coasted to a silent stop off the side of the freeway. Lights still on and flashers going, I looked at my wife and said "call the campground and tell them to hold our spot, we will be a bit late" famous last words for the evening... An hour later, after running out of fuses, troubleshooting parts and ideas, and starting to lose feeling in my hands from the cold, i gave up... Time to call in the road service... Even though we were only 30 miles outside of Amarillo, Good Sam Road service(who lived up positively to every bit of their advertisements) contacted the Road America folks, who notified their subcontractor in a place called San Jon (pronounced "san-hone"), 90 miles back in New Mexico.... so at about 10:45pm a 30ft tow truck with two exhausted men(been up since 5am) showed up... they had actually gone by, but were looking for "a Class C Winnebago motorhome"... upon returning and after looking under the LSSE for clearance, plus taking into consideration the small trailer I was towing, they agreed that their rig may not be the proper one for the job. After discussing it over the phone with all parties involved, it was agreed that they should go home and return in the morning with a flatbed. I figured that it was safer than trying to load and lock down the LSSE at 2am(return round trip time) with below freezing conditions. I was able to coax the LSSE about 1/4mile to be under a bridge with the concrete supports between me and the freeway, but it cost me all of the 20amp fuses in the PDC... so after letting the Texas State Patrol knowing that this would be our "campsite" we settled in for and uneventful night. This is where the dual AGM deepcell batteries and a full tank of propane came in really handy(the LS didn't come with a genset). The story continues, as getting the LSSE home took about a week(but made it under it's own power) but i would bore you all with the details....
this all leads up to the summary section... the problem and solution... the next time the LSSE died, a week later, was in front of my workshop as i was preparing to test/troubleshoot drive it... very lucky me. it turns out that Fuse B in the Chrysler power distribution center(PDC) operates a collection of items that are required to run as one. these are, the Auto Shutdown relay, the Transmission Control relay, the Powertrain Control Module(PCM) and the Transmission Control Module(TCM) B+ source, the alternator field excitation, the ignition coil B+, the fuel injector B+, and the O2 heater elements... I was able to break this convoluted circuit down at the C141, 142, and 143 connectors(the single main engine/tranny connector group) and isolate the injectors as the culprit source... this was complicated as the short would "disappear" as they cooled off.. i finally just replaced them all with new ones, cost $190, and resolved the problem... in talking to a Chry tech, it seems that the system is set up this way to protect the PCM & TCM from damage if a short to ground occurs, like what happened to me... i can understand that, but it makes for a long troubleshooting effort when you find it out the hard way. i will post the info on my website, along with the rest of the story if you are interested...

the second part of the story, with some photos, is the installation of the '02 Prowler tranny into the LSSE....

all for now....
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Re: A not-so LS adventure...

Unread postby djmoyer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:22 am

This has me interested, since a Prowler is a rear wheel drive. Differential seperate from the transmission. Are you going rear wheel drive??
djmoyer

Unread postby silkear » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:39 pm

originally i thought so too, but it turns out to be a rear wheel transaxle with an enclosed driveshaft(like the Corvette) from the rear of the 3.5L to the ring gear mounted at the transaxle... . I already have it in and running, using the same halfaxles,starter, sensors, and wiring as the Intrepid's A606... there is only 3 differences between the two trasaxles, an offset bolt hole in the top of the casting, the later model(square vs. round) shift switch connector, and the rear mount/chain cover... and for that part the cover from a LHS style transaxle(Ebay $15) went right on... everything else is the same, starter mount to torque converter, which came with it, brand new... i lucked out on this find...
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Unread postby silkear » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 pm

i finally finished test running the new tranny in the Silkear... had to wait until the daytime weather got to the point that i could afford to sit and not get frostbite while working outside... i took a quick 160mile round trip to the Los Alamos area, which is at 7200', thru Santa Fe, at 6700', and back home, which is at 5300'. ran very good, quiet & cool, and averaged 17mpg... the unique aspect of this trip are the two 6 to 7% grade climbs, each about 5 miles long that really put the strain on a drivetrain... a good test "track"... so between replacing the fuel injectors to cure the shutdown failure from the Amarillo trip and a new tranny that doesn't leak fluid, i hope i'm ready for a good travelin' summer(work permitting...)
just another note for what it's worth, the 3.8l engine/a606 combination that the Chry folks told me wouldn't work has now shown up in the Jeep Wrangler! here are a couple of photo links, the first being from my website, and the second from the http://www.allpar.com website... note that this is the Chry Caravan engine that is transversely mounted in the minivan...
http://silkear.com/SEimages/LSw38eng_in.jpg
http://www.allpar.com/images/jeep/wrang ... engine.jpg
just some cheap viewing entertainment!
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear