AWD conversion

This forum is to ask and questions or concerns in converting your Le'Sharo over to Dodge.

AWD conversion

Unread postby Pilgrim » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Did anyone know of someone who previously upgraded a LS/Phasar to a Chrysler Town & Country 3.8 ltr or Dodge Grand Caravan All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) ? Many of the Town & Country have AWD also some Grand Caravan's. Would be interesting to know, if the modification can be done. I know the front part would work out. Any comments?
Pilgrim
1988 Phasar 2.2 ltr
Kirkland Lake,Ontario

God will NOT do for you, what You can do yourself! But if asked, He might give directions, remove obstacles or give protection, according to one's faith.
Pilgrim

Re: AWD conversion

Unread postby silkear » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:45 pm

i didn't do an AWD conversion, but have put an '02 T&C 3.8 to a a606/42LE Intrepid tranny... the 3.8 is cast from the same mold as the 3.3 so bolts right up... the a604/42TE tranny in the minivans is basically the same internals as the a606, and the control wiring to the TCM is indentical for both... you can use the 3.8 T&C PCM and connect it to the a606 TCM and things will work and shift properly... what you want to do is use the '00 2-wire OBD system and not cross the 4-wire -93 thru '99 systems over. i get about 18mpg at 65mph up here at 5500ft, and the big plus is all the room to work under the hood when necessary....
FYI....
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Re: AWD conversion

Unread postby Trafic » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:40 am

You can not adapt the chrysler AWD system as that engine/transmission configuration sits transverse and the LeSharo engine/transmission unit sits longitudal (as the does the chrysler LH platform i.e intrepid, 300, LHS, concord New Yorker 92-03).
Lou
Winnebago LeSharo Wanderer
Delray Beach Fl, USA
Trafic