3.5 conversion gm rack?

This forum is to ask and questions or concerns in converting your Le'Sharo over to Dodge.

3.5 conversion gm rack?

Unread postby djmoyer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:21 am

I have started on converting my 88 to a 99 Chrysler 3.5 based on Wayne Cook's method. I am trying to build on his experiences, and also make improvements, if possible.

For those of you that are not familiar with Wayne's 88 conversion, he used the Chrysler rack with some modifications.

I am looking at using a GM center take off rack, the Chrysler struts, swapped from side to side, to take care of the front steer vs rear steer of the GM.

I am posting his to see if anyone else considered this, and why they found that it didn't work.

The advantage to doing it this way vs the Chrysler rack, is to allow the drivetrain to be up a little higher and back further.

I will start posting photos, when I get the rack in place.
djmoyer

Unread postby Alan Bergman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:43 pm

HI,
Well I for one would like to see some photos of what you have done up to this point.. I think there are others that would like to "see" too,
Al
My "Cottage Car" is a 1985 Lesharo with a 3.8 Buick V6
Alan Bergman

Unread postby silkear » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:46 pm

dj. just a bit of info from a fellow Chry convert... I tried to do a center rack using the rack from a '90 Buick Skylark, which is a center style rack. I ran into some minor issues with the rack, but were able to overcome them, but the main issue that made me go back to a traditional r&p, from a '90 Buick Century, was the left(passenger side) halfaxle. As you have probably found, the length is really short about 9 to 10 inches, depending on the hub assembly used (I stayed with the Renault). The problem is actually with the rv at rest, or loaded, the final angle of this halfaxle. if you exceed 13degrees of angle, it won't last very long, and having it come apart at the "tulip"(engine) end may cost you a transaxle, as the shaft will probably destroy the differential section of the A604 transaxle. I am not discouraging the attempt, just a heads up from a guy who has been there.
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Unread postby djmoyer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:08 pm

I don't quite understand your post. I am using the entire subframe and suspension from the Chrysler. Chrysler struts swapped from side to side to account for the rear steer. Strut extension to account for the difference in strut length.
djmoyer

Unread postby silkear » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:51 pm

dj, sorry about that... most of the Chry conversions that I have worked with(and other people with lots more experience) have mounted the Chry engine & tranny on the LS frame vs. using the Chry subframe. probably none of my insights will apply to your type of conversion. I would love to see pics of it also...
Best o' lock!
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear