Turning radius

This forum is to ask and questions or concerns in converting your Le'Sharo over to Dodge.

Turning radius

Unread postby ajabwally » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:54 pm

I have a 3.3 dodge conversion, home made. When backing up with the steering wheel hard over right the right wheel feels like it goes over center and locks up. The only way to unlock it is to go foward and power it out. It also does not have a good turning radius. Thanks wally[/b]
3.3 1995 LeSharo dodge conversion to the wheels, Phasar TD l984.
ajabwally

Unread postby John Niekamp » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:40 am

Hi Wally,

Just wondering if you used the complete Dodge steering sytem or did you modify something totally different?

Thinking if you did use your donor's rack and pinion system, my line of thinking it should be just the same as it was before. Is it possible you have something under there near or on the cradle binding up. Maybe some movement of the whole unit.

I guess also some of the first and easier things to check is tie rods, joint and linkages and make sure none of them are worn terribly and causing it to lock up. The turning radius has me wondering if there is something in a bind that is not letting you turn as sharp.

Just my opinion.

In any case this is NOT any good at all.

John
John Niekamp

steering problem

Unread postby WAYNE COOK » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:07 pm

Wally, I have done a 84 LS/3.5 chrysler conv.useing the Lesharo suspension,steering and a 88 LS 3.5 chrysler using the chrysler sub frame steering, brakes and wheels and have no problems. I assume you used the Lesharo suspension.
To gain clearance between steering rack and the transmission, I cut a unused cast boss off the trans case and replaced a square headed plug with a socket head plug also bend the P S lines. This allows the steering rack to remain centered.
If you could provide more info in this area I will try to help.

check the photos of my 84/95 3.5 conversion at.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/804wayne/

Wayne
88 LS 00/3.5
Chester,VA.
WAYNE COOK

Steering problems

Unread postby ajabwally » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:04 pm

The stops for the turning seem to be on the ball joints. The steering rack is dodge and the tie rod ends are connected to extensions of the normal housing connections, dropped down to make the rack level. Right now I am trying to change the renault outer end boot on the steering end. Need to know how. I had difficulty removing the axel from the dodge auto transmisson but hooked a chain to the inner end and a slide hammer to the chain and gave it a wack. There is a circle clip that hold it in. The ball joint came apart with the help of a 3 finger puller under tension and hitting the side of the housing with a hammer. Thanks, Wally.
3.3 1995 LeSharo dodge conversion to the wheels, Phasar TD l984.
ajabwally

Return to Dodge Conversions