Lesharo 85TD restoration UK

Share your Le'Sharo photos here.

Lesharo 85TD restoration UK

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 am

Going to try and put some pics of my now finished project for you all to see.
If I've done it right ,you should have a pic of the propane tank area of the rig with the rot cut away-to the untrained eye [and the sensable] she should have been scrapped :lol:
but I'm retired and bored :P
As you can see[hopefully] I've cut away all the floor,outriggers,spring hangers and inner and outter sills-most of it fell off.The majority of the metalwork pics have been lost and I regretably did'nt take enough either! but you get the idea. ALL metalwork outboard of the main chassis rails on BOTH sides was cut away-new panels etc fabricated and seam welded into place.The heavy aliminium sections fitted between the winney coach body and the Renault outter chassis were removed.this was time consuming but important to access the repairs properly.All the outter lower removable panels were scrap-not one could be saved.I'm rubbish on computers so I'm going to post this and then edit for more pics when I have more time :mrgreen:YAY!! I done it.Sorry about the poor quality pics-cheap camera phone-they do get better.
Next a view of the coach door walkway being cut away-this walkway extends to the opposite side of the coach but the bathroom and shower tray hide most of it-This area was really bad and it all had to be cut away after removing the bathroom.
The axle stand is under the main longertudial chassis rail-as stated earlier-everything outboard of these rails was cut away on both sides.
First third of the floor and supports welded in-the sad tatty remains of part of the floor can be seen in front of the bathroom.ALL work done outside-shame I've got no photos showing the work I was doing when we had 8'' of snow and -12 deg. I got some heated insoles to ease the suffering a little :lol:
A random pic of the interiour-ALL wood ply sheeting removed-I like to see whats hidden :mrgreen: new zinc plated steel sheet glued to the insulation,the originals had rotted away.insulation removed is for the fitting of flush lights removed from an ambulance-should see them in later pics.Also shown but not too clearly is the steel brace fitted floor to ceiling for a full 3-point seatbelt,the lapbelts were junked.
New cable in place for the coach A/C-The pic shows the props holding the new ceiling in place ,and the new timber fitted to the rear wall.I also fitted additional braces to the roof either side of the A/C to eliminate the sagging probs that these suffer from,Extra braces were fitted across the bathroom/coachdoor/skylight area too,for good measure :mrgreen:
Next, some pics of the door 'steps' the rot cutaway and new steps and inner/outter sills fabricated and welded in.ImageImage.
An end view of the outter sill section made on a manual metal folder in 1.6mm steel-the inner sill is just a flat piece of steel which 'closes' it off and forms a box section if you like.
Massive fast forward now :roll: I lost about 40 pics when my camera got wet-these showed the repairs to the metalwork to the inner front wings ,outter wings and arches,also to the windscreen area and doors.
Here I am blending in the fibreglass lower panels which I cast myself using the remains of the originals as patterns. The arches are not handed so I only had to make one pattern mold for them,repairing the original steel panels [to a suitable standard for casting a mold off]taking a mold,and then casting the finished product took me a whole month full time,Mobility sell glass replacements but I could'nt afford them,shipping nearly doubled the price.These cost about a 10th of the price to make.The wiring pokeing through the lower panel is for extra marker lights.trial fitting of the rear plastic trim after all paint has been removed from the body and a coat of etch primer applied-I had to paint outside as well.The coach roof ,cab inside and out,and the coach body were all sprayed at differant stages-you can see the newly painted roof in this pic.The A/C cover was painted off the vechicle as were the doors,wings and bonnetImage
You can see the painted cab in this pic-note the masked off stainless steel side exit exhaust!-nearly ready to paint the coachImage
And shes done-paintwise anyway :lol:
Some grapics-trying differant layouts
Want to see the finished thing? I'll post up pics of the interiour later,but for now........my baby parked up at a localish beauty spot :mrgreen:
Here you can see that I've colour coded the headlamp trims and grill and fitted fog lights to the front bumper-wiper arms are from a puegot with a slight mod.All the coach windows have been limo tinted and fitted back into re painted frames-the window opening 'gearboxes' were stripped down and re-conned so all four now open and close correctly.
INSIDE............ :mrgreen:
Aliminium checker plate floor-oak 'winnebago' kick board and all newly made units.
New mirror glass and tracking-new bathroom door
New unit-scratch built with mixer tap-4 hob hotplate with grill,ss splashback and tiled on top. another piece of oak on the top :mrgreen:
rear of the kitchen unit with 240vac socket and oak framed cubby storage.
New wardrobe unit [this will have a microwave/oven/grill combo sat on top]with display panel and another 240vac socket.new and relocated water heater switch and room stat' for the replacement blow air propane heater-I junked the faulty original.
The wife recovered the seats,did the wallpapering,tinted the windows and made tea, The removable 2nd row seat headrests are from a Mini Metro as are the 3 point seatbelts for these seats.
Overhead cuboards with new lights,doors and bases.The plastic cuboard ends were recast in fibreglass as all of mine were cracked-only two mould patterns to make a LH & RH.
You can see the 3 point seatbelt as well, much safer...Landrover Defender [also scratch built] outside :lol:
New door cards with ridgid plastic bottle/map holders-wood veneer here and there and a look at the upgraded rear view mirrors-the clock is Ford Cortina and along with the voltmeter were both found in my 'usefull bits' draw and duly fitted.
Bit more wood and a custom made centre consel with cup holders and oak trim-
- the rear dinette table with Winnebago logo and you can just see the replacement rear ceiling lite at the top of the pic.Image
Theres lots more but no pics[non that can be seen clearly] of the drop down tv,sat' reciever, twin dvd screens, reversing camera and extra underseat storage incl' secret ones for valubles.
In total-about a year to do,all work done by myself except the seat recovering and wallpaper and all done outside including the bare metal respray-she passed the road worthiness test no problem.Things to do at a later date-convert to right hand steer and fabricate a rear carrier for cycles and the like,and fabricate extra fuel tank[s] for longer range.
I'm very pleased with the end result having never restored an RV before :P
Last edited by BANDIT2 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Restoring a 1986 Lesharo TD[now finished and on the road! check out the restoration]http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1713
If my posts seem short and to the point-its because I type with one finger. Running sweet on home made bio.
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2

Re: Lesharo 85TD restoration UK

Unread postby mloganusda » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:53 am

Good photos of your work. You must be really bored to take on this much work of replacing all the rusted out steel. I envy your welding and sheet metal work as I am only able to do mechanical/engine work. Some schooling in engine rebuilding and general automobile care most of my life. I would have like to have done an drivetrain replacement, but was worried about electrical wiring during changeover. I have sold my 86' 2.2 gas last month and purchased a 2004 Rialta. Keep all of us informed of your work in process.
Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas
Now 04' Rialta
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Unread postby Rick H » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Chris,
Top rate work!! Looks better then when it came off of the assembly line. Thanks for the pictures and a quick look at your wonderful work.
Look forward to more pictures. I assume you are using the original engine and transmission setup.
Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Thanks! yes standard engine and 5 speed manual gearbox-bit sluggish up hills but purrs along lovely on the flat.A few niggles to sort-leaking freshwater connections-a speedo that says 35 when the sat nav says 55 :lol: got a spare one though.minor oil leak and the fuel sender has died-luckily I 'fitted' an access hatch to get at that problem-got a spare one of those as well.
Keep the comments good or bad coming :lol:
Restoring a 1986 Lesharo TD[now finished and on the road! check out the restoration]http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1713
If my posts seem short and to the point-its because I type with one finger. Running sweet on home made bio.
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2

Unread postby mloganusda » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:09 am

What can I say, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT,. Wish I could do work like you have done. You should be able to fine parts because you are close to Renault sources. Your wood work looks like what my brother-in-law does to his Rialta (VW based). Keep sending more photos and enjoy the fruits of your labor for a long time.
Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas
Now 04' Rialta
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Unread postby bcjack » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:05 pm

What can I say....awesome quality. If you ever come over to the "colonies" and have a spare month or so I can put you up and feed you for labor. Very good job. How important, or is it for safety to convert to right hand drive???
Jack H.
1987 Lesharo 2.2 4-Speed Manual
Beavercreek, OR
bcjack

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:11 am

bcjack wrote:What can I say....awesome quality. If you ever come over to the "colonies" and have a spare month or so I can put you up and feed you for labor. Very good job. How important, or is it for safety to convert to right hand drive???

Thanks Jack-shrewd move on the labour offer-you could see I don't eat much :lol: :lol: :lol:
We drive on the left over here rather than the right that you guys do and I find it 'uncomfortable' and sometimes not a little dangerous when overtaking.It just does'nt 'feel ' right. I am becoming more used to it so no rush to do the conversion but I will do it at some point.It will be quite difficult and very labour intensive,I will probably upgrade to the 'facelift' dash that the Renault Trafic had in the early 90's [IIRC] at the same time.I know that this facelift van was made until 1999 so should be plenty in the scrapyards.I was going to use the diesel engine and box out of this model as well until I found they were only a 1.9 ltr developing 65bhp compared to the 2.1 and 75bhp that I've got already :shock: .
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:51 am

I've had a PM asking about the wood and as other owners may want to know,I've pasted my reply on here as well.................... the wood on the door tops is 3mm ply with a softwood 'fillet' running the length of the corner and then wrapped in veneer and varnished. The other pieces were ply again [just flat-so easier!]and veneered. All edges were coloured in with black marker pen before varnishing.The door cards were made out of slightly thicker ply IIRC using the old ones as a template,covered in the dense foam stuff that goes under wooden laminate flooring and then covered in a nice soft material of your choice.I used spray adhesive for this.Go to a wreakers yard to find some ridged pockets to suit or maybe some of those elasticated net pouch things that RV stores sell?Back to the wood.....the hardest things to make were the door tops,a lot of trial and error and 'offering' up was involved. :mrgreen:
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2

Unread postby Wanderer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:05 pm

I had not seen this post until now; Great job she is a beauty! Lots of neat mods and improvements great craftsmanship.
Lou
Life is hard by the yard; but by the inch it’s a cinch.
1990 Winnebago LeSharo "Wanderer"
Chrysler 3.3L Extended roof
Delray Beach Fl
Wanderer

Unread postby Gabs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 am

Wow!! Now that's the way to do it!

Very happy to see the detail of your refit. Can I ask where or how you found the parts, especially of the dashboard! We are looking to put a fiamma awning and a bike rack on our's but need to fit a toe bar to it. Any pointers would be great. I am based in east sussex UK, and have struggled with parts in the UK!!

Lovely motor!
Gabs

Next