4x4

This forum is for any other conversions not covered in the previous forums.

4x4

Unread postby Justit » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:12 pm

hi I just bought a 1985 lasharo diesel it runs but no power ..I was thinking of doing the Chrysler swap or putting on a 1997 dodge dodge 4x4 diesel truck frame with a 5.9 cummins any advise
Justit

Re: 4x4

Unread postby Rick H » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Justit,
Look at this link for posts in line with what you are thinking about.

http://www.lesharorv.com/search.php?author_id=1910&sr=posts

Good luck,
Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby RV4BT » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:57 pm

It was an enormous amount of work that I hardly documented sufficiently. A great deal of red neck reasoning, simple mechanics, and dumb luck. The formula for my RV was to make a rear wheel drive so I could pull a small car and potentially benefit from greater power engine options. To do this require imagination and many steps:

-A custom sister frame in the front to support the suspension and new engine setup.
-2003 Crown Victoria Front Suspension. (Bolts right in after fabricating).
-Updated Ford Clutch and brake master cylinder.
-I was going to use a Ford or Chevy big six or eight and stumbled upon a decided to use a 4BT diesel. Basically a 4 cylinder Cummins diesel from bread trucks. Like a 6BT but two cylinders removed and uses many of the same parts.
-A Ford 9" rear axle with 2" wheel spacer. I had a tru trac with 3.25 ratio built.
-A Ford ZF S5-42 which is a 5 speed out of a Ford F250.
-A rear fuel tank to allow the drive shaft and transmission through.
-A two piece drive shaft.
-Lost of fuel lines to allow diesel return. A few electrical lines to allow power to it all.
-Exhaust system that exits just in front of the passenger rear tire.

So, with all that said I don't know if I would do it all over again. Not sure what I would have done other than considering a frame swap and then it would be jacked up even higher than it is now.

I am here if you have any questions. Anything is possible with time, money, and patience. I refused to quit and wanted to make it work. We will being using the RV for the first time for camping this October and have many updates planned.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/130303095@N02/albums

Here is the larger album on google images:
https://goo.gl/photos/2QF9a2swETMGR7ya6

Ken
Lesharo 4BTRV
Cummins Powered Bliss
RV4BT

Unread postby ejeff » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi 4X4, you have what I wanted a stick shift! I wanted a 5 spd Turbo Subaru DOHC with headers. I thought that would be cool and you can get HP parts. It looked like it would connect like a Chrysler and a rear brace wouldn't be hard to fabricate. The turbo block can be pricy but there were a bunch of used cars in Minneaplous for a swap. Mine was auto and went GM but with cutting the shit out of mine I think I could do it now. Ed

P.S. I must admit a guy on a Subie site asked me why I would want to do the work and put such an under powered engine in a RV.
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff

Return to All Other Conversions