Timing belt and gaskets for 87 2.2

This forum is for anything related to the Le'Sharo coach itself. Anything Winnebago Coach area: wiring, house battery, Roof, plumbing, appliances, problems and/or other ideas or suggestions. Anything that doesn't deal with the engine or transmission.

Timing belt and gaskets for 87 2.2

Unread postby Obiejuan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:21 pm

Before we bring our new ride home we had an RV place in Vegas inspect it and tune it up (Vermont is a long way from Vegas....seemed prudent!!!). We need to replace the timing belt, valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. They are having a very hard time finding those parts.
Where do folks find parts for the 2.2 and what other Renault models use the same parts?
Thanks
Obiejuan

Re: Timing belt and gaskets for 87 2.2

Unread postby Ray Charbonneau » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Obiejuan??? I'm pretty sure that's not your name, LOL!!!
The items that you are looking for can be sourced through MobilityRV.com. They are the difinitive place for all things LeSharo. They may be a bit pricey but they are the ones that bought out all the Renault/Winnebego stock when Winnebago stopped production of the LeSharo/Phasar motorhomes.
If you call them, be sure to have your VIN number as that will tell them what has been sold to the previous owners of that coach, that might also give you an idea what type of maintenance has been done to your coach.
The MOST IMPORTANT thing when you change the timing belt is make sure the shop knows Renault engines as these are an interference engine, meaning if they set the timing wrong something will be broken in the engine and your LeSharo may be worth only a few pennies. Make sure they have access to or have a service manual when doing the installation of the timing belt, I've heard horror stories of good engines wasted by not knowing how these engines are timed.
A good question to ask the repair shop to find out if they know what they are doing is:
Which cylinder is the number 1 in the firing order, the front or rearmost cylinder?
The correct answer is number 1 cylinder is the rearmost cylinder when looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle.
If they respond incorrectly I would either make sure they know, have a service manual or move on to a different repair shop. I would hate to hear about how the repair shop wasted your engine by breaking a valve, cracking a head or busting a piston.
Hope this helps, Ray
Ray Charbonneau
Winter Haven, FL
"WinneBuick"
1988 Winnebago LeSharo w/ Buick 3.8
Ray Charbonneau

Unread postby Rick H » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:25 pm

The gas 2.2L is not an interference engine, the diesel is if I remember right.
Look up parts by looking under 1985 Renault Fuego or the 1988 Eagle. If using Rockauto remember to click on the UE flag to get the Fuego listings.
Like Ray says, get the service manual. Search this site for a soft copy you can download. (Maybe Terry can add it to the Knowledge Base sometime in the future for easy reference)
If you are doing the timing belt and the water pump looks at all iffy, change it too.
Not sure why you need an oil pan gasket unless you mean the oil pan drain plug gasket.
If it's an automatic, just have the fluid drained and refilled unless it is really dirty or smells bad, then you may want to drop the pan and clean the filter, it is reuseable.
Also replace the final drive oil. Here is a biggy, remove the fill plug first as they are known to be a real pain.
Hope it helps,
Rick
btw when are you going to pick up your LS?
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby Obiejuan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks Rick and Ray. We printed out a service manual and forwarded the link to the shop but have no idea if they will bother to read it. Our current thinking is to get a belt from mobility and bring it with us and if we run into a problem with the timing on our way home we can have it replaced. There are mechanics here and in Montreal that know their way around Renaults so hopefully we can get home and then have it replaced.
Not sure what gasket they are looking on the oil pan, they say it's leaking. I assume there is a gasket between the pan and the engine but I really have no idea.....I'm 2000 miles away.
We have put off picking it up for a couple of weeks, flying out on the 22nd which will give us 5 days to get home. Going the southern route to avoid the Rockies.
And yes, Obie Juan is not my name, it's my dogs name, he is a Spanish Jedi. My parents named me Paul which is nowhere near as interesting as Obie Juan.
Obiejuan

Unread postby Rick H » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:27 pm

Paul,
There are a few LS owners in the Montreal area. Hopefully they will chime in here.
Rick
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Rick H

Unread postby Ray Charbonneau » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Paul,
I do like obiejuan and never thought of using it for a dogs name. Now I see the connection, a Spanish Jedi, hence ObieJuan, nice. BTW, my brothers name is Paul, a good name.
I would inquire more as to the reason to replace the oil pan gasket, they might be trying to make some money long distance.
Again, the critical thing is the final drive oil, look it up in your manual. See if they'll check that for you.
I must've been thinking about my first LeSharo, an 86 Turbo Diesel when I posted about the interference engine. Thank you Rick!!!
There was a few posts about a great mechanic up in Montreal that really knew Renaults, do some searches and you might be able to find his contact info.
When you're on the road, keep it easy, watch the temps and holler at us if you need help. Although I'm in Central Florida, I might be able to help you get some help if needed.
Good Luck, Ray
Ray Charbonneau
Winter Haven, FL
"WinneBuick"
1988 Winnebago LeSharo w/ Buick 3.8
Ray Charbonneau

Unread postby Rick H » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:19 pm

Paul,
If you're coming anywhere near our neck of the woods, give a shout. You are welcome to park in the driveway and stay awhile.
Rick
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Rick H