Dodge cooling fans

This forum is to ask and questions or concerns in converting your Le'Sharo over to Dodge.

Dodge cooling fans

Unread postby Terry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:29 am

I noticed on this 1992 3.0L that the cooling fans dont ever come on until temp reaches 50%. I remember my original 2.2 Phasar doing the same thing, all or nothing for cooling. One might think that one of the fans could be running or perhaps both run on low in order to keep some air over the engine and some heat leaving the radiator, but am I being paranoid? I realize that the fans are only useful when driving slow or idling and to that end it seems logical that they keep air moving at those times and not fully shut off...?

Does this sound right for an old Dodge?
1984 Lesharo, 3.8 Chrysler, Plano, Texas, USA
Terry
Site Admin

Articles: 8

Re: Dodge cooling fans

Unread postby Commkruge » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:28 am

Terry,
My motor is a 97 3.0 and I too had the paranoid thoughts. I over rode the relay because I never heard them come on. Last summer though I gambled and removed the relay switch. I was on the egde of the seat waiting once my temp reached 205 I heard a click and the low speed fan kicked in which brought the temp down to 195 and it kicked off. I then took it out and ran the LS and Brought it home and did everything I could think of to heat it past the safe zone the best I could do was to get it to 210 and then the second cooling fan kicked in on high and within seconds 195 and both kicked off. I still am paranoid monitoring the temp gauge remembering the days of warped heads and cooling fans that were frozen....... Dodge made a good cooling system right down to the relays. Just my 2 Cents.
Commkruge

Unread postby djmoyer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Try turning on the a/c. IIRC, that should turn on one of the fans. That is a way to verify fan operation.
djmoyer

Unread postby Terry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 pm

yeah that came to mind, unfortunately this rig has no AC, compressor, condenser or even working blower fans... heh.

Wonder if I could use that to my advantage, ie: make it think the ac is always on. That means I'd need to track down the wiring diagram for this critter.
1984 Lesharo, 3.8 Chrysler, Plano, Texas, USA
Terry
Site Admin

Articles: 8

Unread postby thummmper » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:25 am

maybe a sens from the vehicle speed sensor could activate the low fan up to 25 mph, like when you are looking for a site in a campground. worth looking into. maybe i will when I recommission my ac.
todd /carlsbad, ca. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/v6abduction/
thummmper