1992 Dodge Caravan 3L Fuel Pump

This forum is to ask and questions or concerns in converting your Le'Sharo over to Dodge.

1992 Dodge Caravan 3L Fuel Pump

Unread postby Terry » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:37 pm

The external fuel pump on my 1986 Project Bago is screaming loud. The engine is a 92 Dodge 3.0L and it appears to need 100-110 psi pump. I was wondering if someone could verify that for me and then also suggest a replacement pump that might be quieter.

I have dismounted the pump and when it is free flowing it is very quiet. It begins to get noisy as it bogs down with pressure on the output. It is an Airtex E8446 110 psi.

Here is a video of how pleasant it is. You can begin to hear the pump at 50 seconds.

1984 Lesharo, 3.8 Chrysler, Plano, Texas, USA
Terry
Site Admin

Articles: 8

Re: 1992 Dodge Caravan 3L Fuel Pump

Unread postby Terry » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:51 pm

I seem to have a hard time finding fuel pumps that will do the 90-110 psi needed for this engine. Many are rated at high-pressure but they have nonspecific or odd ratings. I suspect that this engine would have a fuel pressure regulator up near the fuel rail, so perhaps most any high-pressure pump should do the job?

HEREis one that looks promising for a deal. It would be nice to find a quieter one than the Airtex brand.
Terry
Site Admin

Unread postby Wanderer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:55 am

Does it happen after the pump is running for awhile? Do you have a fuel filter on the intake side of the fuel pump? If so it is clogged and may not look it, if not make sure the fuel inlet line to the pump is not obstructed. Do not use paper element filters as the paper becomes saturated with minute rust particles commonly found in gas station fuel tanks. I use a cleanable filter with a brass screen and I am often suprised at the debris that finds itself to the bottom of the bowl.
Lou
Life is hard by the yard; but by the inch it’s a cinch.
1990 Winnebago LeSharo "Wanderer"
Chrysler 3.3L Extended roof
Delray Beach Fl
Wanderer

Unread postby Terry » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:53 am

The pump seemed to low-pressure free flow nicely so I wouldnt think it was obstructed. I do plan on replacing the filter. Any leads on a nice bowl filter? They have glass tube ones but boy do those look messy on maintenance. I think I'd prefer the sealed bowl design. I saw one bowl with a fastener up through the center of the bowl much like a small engine carburetor design, and that just sounds plain dumb.
Terry
Site Admin

Unread postby Wanderer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:32 am

The ones I use are for tractor engines, they separate water and debris. You can get them on ebay. Install the new filter on the inlet side of the pump so you can eliminate the filter that is mounted on the outlet side as it does not protect the fuel pump.
Lou
Delray Beach Fl
Wanderer

Unread postby Terry » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 am

So "tractor" suggests diesel, and I wonder if the gas and diesel filters are similar? I wonder that the diesel filters might be more open, larger micron?
Terry
Site Admin

Unread postby Wanderer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Terry wrote:So "tractor" suggests diesel, and I wonder if the gas and diesel filters are similar? I wonder that the diesel filters might be more open, larger micron?

The problem is not the size of the particle,the problem is that most filters have paper elements. The paper absorbs the tiny rust particles and clog, these filters are inline so when you turn off the unit the particles fall in the path of the flow of gssoline, when the unit is running for awhile the pump sucks the fallen particles into the paper element and the pump strains. But the brass screens in the bowl filters and the depth of the bowl keep the gas flowing as the debris falls to the bottom. So you can have a lot of debris without affecting the flow as the pick up for the exiting gasoline is at the top of the filter away from all debris unlike the inline filters. Do not forget the ethanol additive is in gasoline these days that has an adverse effect on paper filters.
Lou
Delray Beach Fl
Wanderer

Unread postby refrigman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:54 pm

The link you provided to a Walbro pump is for an INTANK high pressure pump that needs to be submerged in cooling fuel. Do NOT substitute this for your noisy ( I know, mine is loud also), but designed to be externally mounted, pump. I did not find a replacement pump other than airtex with proper pressures for my 3.5 Chrysler conversion. See my postings re: 3.5 conversion vapor lock problems and how to solve (and also quiet a little) the heat soak/ vapor lock problems from excess exhaust heat. The Reflectix bubble wrap/ foil I used does provide some sound insulation also.

Dave
refrigman