1988 interior overhaul

This forum is for anything related to the Le'Sharo coach itself. Anything Winnebago Coach area: wiring, house battery, Roof, plumbing, appliances, problems and/or other ideas or suggestions. Anything that doesn't deal with the engine or transmission.

1988 interior overhaul

Unread postby ejeff » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi, my plan was to remove most of the interior and carpet to clean out the cooties and fix the ceiling. But after working on my camper I decided to change it into an off grid single user unit running 12 volts. The utility install was poor and I didn't think the appliances worked so only the tank and fridge are going back. The galley is 1" wood stock glued to thin paneling held together by staples and up by the fridge bracket needs a rebuild. It's going to be more expensive and take longer than I thought.

Off grid camping requires batteries so the vacated WH, RH, and furnace space will be occupied. The dinette will be replaced with a pullout gaucho and storage below. The dinette curb seat space will be a pantry and expand the street side wardrobe. I first thought I could make all the furniture lighter but no way. I'm going to reuse the steel frame and screw thin ply to it but that's about all I will be able to replicate. I can only work with 1/4" and up but hopefully I'll have a zero net weight gain.

I am to the point to how far should I remove the ceiling. Do I square up the good and fill in or go wall to wall. I will try to upload a floor and further down the road a wiring schematic. Ed
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff

Re: 1988 interior overhaul

Unread postby populuxe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Find liquid Lysol in a jug. Spray it or simply dump it on areas that have been infested. It's really the only thing you can do to get rid of that mouse smell.
Chris Christensen Wisconsin, USA
88 LeSharo
01 Villager minivan
80 Vespa
populuxe

Unread postby ejeff » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:00 am

I have the camper cleaned out but on hold waiting for warmer weather. I do have the galley prototype close to being done but waiting for a 22mm forester bit so I can install a locking door latch. I thought I would be able to make more storage but ended with about the same or less, because I made the fridge space to accomindate a1080.
I think I have found a Buick donor car to repower my camper so I will be looking at it after Xmas. I figured if I didn't do a swap I would never get out of my home towing range. Maybe if I lived in Co. or Ca. It would be okay but Iowa isn't a place I want to go to on vacation. Ed
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff

Unread postby Rick H » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Good work. Thanks for posting the pictures as it may help me determine where mice are still getting into mine. I've already plugged the hole where the propane to the furance comes up and now I see where the hot water heater drains could be a source of entry.
Good luck with your adventure here.
Keep us posted.
Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby ejeff » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:00 am

I purchased a 2002 Buick Le Sarbre so as soon as the weather breaks, for Iowa that's a couple of months from now, I will start converting to the GM power plant. I just got rid of my Taurus so I have a place to park it.

In the mean time I will continue working on the interior. I am ready to fit my galley and will be doing that Saturaday. I want to see if I can improve the bottom cabinet storage and will get some pics. What I have so far is a top pullout bin for soap and rags, middle drawer, with sliding silverware drawer that sits on top of the drawer, and bottom cabinet. I am thinking about making tin foil/plasitc bag storage on the cabinet door but will see. I have a flip up table extension on the isle end but I don't know if it will be all that handy. Almost forgot after rechecking the fridge dimension I have room for a pull out cutting board.

I have started laying out the pantry that will set next to the galley. The pantry will be about 12"x50"x24" single pullout with 4 shelves. I have a set of HD Blum bottom bracket drawer slides and locking latch for hardware and will need tp pickup a pull. The plan is to use the top 2 or 3 top shelves, the ones that can be reached from the galley side, for food storage, and the bottom shelf for other items. The pantry will set on the rear seat bed frame that's about 16" off the floor. Ed
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff

Unread postby Ray Charbonneau » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:46 am

Ed,
It sounds like your making great headway on the interior and you have a perfect donor for the powerplant conversion.
When the thaw happens, let me know if you need any help with the conversion.
I've been there and did that with help from the previous converters and don't mind paying it forward.
Ray
Ray Charbonneau
Winter Haven, FL
"WinneBuick"
1988 Winnebago LeSharo w/ Buick 3.8
Ray Charbonneau

Unread postby ejeff » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:46 am

Thanks Ray for the offer I will take you up on it, I probably have read your conversion post 3 or 4 times. My camper has very little rust, I like the compact size, and it's old enough I don't question myself tearing it apart, so what the heck why not do the power plant too, if I don't I won't be going to far from home.

I have the prototype galley frame mostly done and after several mistakes and cobbling I have a door and drawer installed. I cannot install my cool locking latch because I went crazy with the brad gun, but I got the hinges installed. After many false starts and struggling to put everything together I forgot what was my goal, new organized space so a rebuild is in order. I used 1/2" plywood which was my first mistake so I'm gluing up some 1x pine to start a new door, same with the drawer but will use 3/4" plywood, and the silverware sliding drawer is too heavy. Then find a piece that will fit the top soap drawer and a container.

I built a container storage rack for the door and now looking to do something for the interior space to keep the cookware in place. I need to fit the galley in the camper so I can make a profile of the space and come up with a way to hold the stuff put. I wish I would have fitted when I said I was going to, now we're in a cold spell, Iowa!

I'm looking for a small cheap door switch like for an oven so I can mount a light inside the cabinet and a place to mount the courtesy light switch. I bought some gas pipe so I can rough in a line for the water heater and stove, but I might buy the unit first before I get too involved. I need to ether take the existing countertop or buy some material to make a new one when I get to the plumbing and gas. I did figure out a way to delete the vent pipe, I'm going to use a 1" I.D. pipe to a sump.
IMG_0066.JPG
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff

Unread postby ejeff » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:17 pm

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

I got back to work and completed door 1.1 and new soap dish face. Purchased veneer plywood for the dish and utensil drawer I'm shooting for a final product. I going to get a dovetail jig to do all of my door joints plus I need the practice for the desk, I want to make it out of maple. I'm trying to find a 1/2 or full sheet of plastic corrugate cardboard to use as inside cabinet divider, but have had no luck. I still haven't fitted my galley, it was too nice so I rode my bike to Bouton getting ready for BRR.
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff

Unread postby ejeff » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:08 am

IMG_0077.JPG
I had a set back the galley drawer, that's the second copy, hits the screen door when extended and my table saw broke. I did resize the pullout soap dish that gives me space for a switch, installed a locking latch for the drawer, and installed an LED auto-switch cabinet light.

Changes I'm going to make; I don't like the sliding silverware dish and since I have to down size and do over I'm going to have two drawers. The bottom cabinet door will work as is but there isn't much storage space. The middle panel separating the cabinet and fridge will be made out of 1/2" plywood to make it easier to attach brackets to.

I need to follow through and add galley plumbing, electrical, gas line so I know exactly where I need to cut holes and paths for the lines. I am almost sure I'm going with a simple Coleman propane burner but haven't ordered one. Same with hot water I haven't ordered a heater because I've been tossing around the idea using alcohol as my camper fuel. I did order a shallow 1" sink drain with strainer and stopper and a Shurflo rotating 12VDC switched faucet. I want to see if I can drill a hole in the side of the sink for the faucet and fabricate a hinged cover drain rack combo.
IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff

Unread postby ejeff » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Saw running and a sheet of plywood so I made some sawdust this weekend. The base is 48x12x24; Four shelves in all top two side access and the bottom both front and side. The slides are smooth and strong easy to install I've used them before. I didn't build a face because I should have cut a 1/4 rabbet so I could integrate with the shelves and have an overlap plus it's too heavy and much for my camper. I'm going to order some vinyl ply board and try it now.
IMG_0083.JPG

I made a pantry slide out drawer but I don't like it needs to be lighter. I'm leaning towards top being a cabinet and a bottom pullout with a door face. The top needs more thought I should buy a portable water heater so I can see how it will fit or even will work. I like the bottom isle storage if it had a door and store spare parts or something in the back section.
IMG_0082.JPG

I will keep the pullout option plus a locking face door so it will work both ways. Maybe pull from the right and open from the left. I think I will need to find a locking pull.
IMG_0081.JPG

lots of wood and not complete
IMG_0080.JPG
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff

Next