1989 LeSharo new member in with both feet!

This forum is to tell everyone about yourself. How you came to own your Le'Sharo.

1989 LeSharo new member in with both feet!

Unread postby hamelrider » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Ya All! (or maybe i should use the plural of "Ya All" which is "All Ya All"!
Found this site not too long ago and just signed up for this and the Yahoo site. It's already saved me 1,000% of what it cost to join!
Bought a 1989 LeSharo 3 years ago and had i known about this site it could have saved me a bunch of trouble. Anyway, like other stories i've read, this one, too, hadn't been driven for over 10 years. it had a price of $1,000 because they couldn't start it and, of course, was being sold "as is". I had it towed to a shop where they replaced all fluids, got new tires and wala . . .it came to life.
The problems i had up to a week ago (which probably seem so simple to you vets out there) were:
- Generator would run but no voltage at plug in.
- filled LP but burners and refrig wouldn't work on LP
- Difficult to start and idle until it's fully warmed up.
- Turned on water and had it gushing out in various places.
- Both faucets would leak when fully off.
- Most dash gauges are melted and don't work. (thankfully odometer does).
- Tried to start coach A/C with shore power from a 4KW stand alone generator. Compressor was really lugging and then, all of a sudden, heard a loud pop, presumably from the roof unit. Well, then it ran but, alas, no cold air!
The Generator: Well, after studying various posts on this site and talking to John at Mobility (who seems to be the go-to man for all things LeSharo) i finally found out there's a switch (not unlike a normal light switch) hidden down and alongside the engine! Problem was that because it's open to, and located, in such a hostile environment that everything was covered in road grime and black evil looking stuff. Now before this i was studying all the posts on how to remove the entire genset because i was convinced the generator portion was toast and needed a rebuild. But now, all of a sudden, i'm told of a miracle switch. . .the answer to my prayers! Anyway, i flip the switch and wadda ya know. . .i have robust AC power in the coach!!!
Now the LP. . i was tracking gas lines, reading posts and trying to find out whatever i could. particularly baffling was the fact i knew the tank was full but yet the gauge at the LP tank said zero but yet the info panel in the coach said full! and no matter what i couldn't get the stove to light. I did notice the two wires going to an electric valve after the main LP shutoff. i said to myself, "self, you need to find out what switch i haven't seen yet controls that solenoid. Now here again, i got various tantalizing hints and info about how the CO detector in the coach actuality not only alarms when it detects LP gas, but it has the power to actually shut it off! how dastardly is that! To continue, after getting on my hands and knees with the required flashlight and closely scrutinizing this panel i come to find out not only does it have an on/off switch, but a second button labeled " solenoid on"! I couldn't believe my eyes. Well i turn the CO detector on and no sooner do i hit the "solenoid on" button do i hear a faint click outside. Yes sports fans, the solenoid by default is closed and it requires the CO detector to be functioning in the green before the LP gas valve is opened! needless to say the stove and refrigerator then immediately worked and the outside gauge read 8. god, i felt like a genius. (us guys get kudos wherever we can).
Cold start problem: still no remedy . Taken to three repair shops who say they can fix it and, of course, they can't. problem is, even with an internet search, no one touts "renault engine repair" in their resume! Finally found the ultimate solution however. . .John at Mobility this fall baby!
The water: finally could see it was coming from hot water heater. i knew now that the couch seat had to come out. I kept thinking, "you know, there's all kinds of things under both couches that need to be looked at/addressed at least once a year. . .so i bet there's some sort of quick release for these seats. after all, they couldn't really expect an owner to squeeze their hand in a tight space between the couch and frame and remove four nuts, could they?" Spent over an hour studying the seat best i could through a 4 inch gap looking for a "push to remove seat" button! Well, in fact, the French do expect us to squeeze our hands through an impossibly small gap to remove 4 nuts! (maybe it's revenge for us saving their butt but stealing all their wine in WWII) Anyway, removed seat, front wooden frame, wiring and four hoses, and finally got water heater box out. Then removed all box panels, inlet fittings, insulation and finally got it down to the alum tank. well, you guessed it. . .a huge split in front. for now running w/o water heater. joined the two water hoses together and put in a piece of heater hose to join the engine coolant lines that normally go to help heat the water tank.
Faucets:: camping world was the solution for a replacement for the bath faucet. For the kitchen I got a laundry tub faucet (chrome plastic) from Menards with a spout end sprayer for $39! All leaks now fixed but the water pump will still not turn off. looked everywhere for more leaks but there are none. I'm now thinking that water pump is old enough where it can't generate the pressure to turn off? Seems like good pressure however. . .hmmmm.
Dash gauges: Guess i'll just keep my eyes open for those individual gauges. was thinking of after market for awhile but then thought. . .i think i'll tough it out and keep this baby as original as possible.
Coach A/C: Have to look closer when wife returns from colorado from rocky mountain folk festival. Left this morning in fact. (at least this year she can have AC power, running water, a toilet and a working stove and refrigerator!) (i'm not saying anything more about her trip because i don't want to jinx it!). anyway, again after reading several posts i'm inclined (if repairing is cost prohibitive) to replace the coleman roof top unit with a skylight and carrying a portable AC unit with me(in closet) on trips that would require A/C. most 10k btu units only pull about 1100 watts at most. If i do that i would cut in some sort of standard looking vent and vent the unit to the outside through that.
Well, that's my story and i'm sticking to it! whew! Thanks to all that had solutions i garnered info from and i certainly plan to use this site frequently as i'm thrown various LeSharo curve balls!
Dave and Char Mpls,MN
hamelrider

Re: 1989 LeSharo new member in with both feet!

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Welcome to the forum Dave :mrgreen:
Don't blame the french-Winnebago are solely responsible for everything in the coach!!
TIP- open the rear benches into the bed, then lie underneath on your back and the nuts are easy to do :lol:
You'll probably get some gauges off someone on here-some members have converted the dash cluster as well as the engine so everything works as it did on the doner vehicle.
Restoring a 1986 Lesharo TD[now finished and on the road! check out the restoration]http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1713
If my posts seem short and to the point-its because I type with one finger. Running sweet on home made bio.
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2

Unread postby bcjack » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Greg at S-Works could probably help you with guages...just a thought (no commission)
Jack H.
1987 Lesharo 2.2 4-Speed Manual
Beavercreek, OR
bcjack

Unread postby Rick H » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Welcome to the group.
The engine problem sounds like a vacuum line, search this site.
Great post, lots of detail, welcome aboard.
Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby hamelrider » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:59 pm

thanks for the tips banditz.i stand corrected on the French! viva la france!
thanks rich h. yes, i'm finding a wealth of info here. i'm thinking I can probably just put needles o the gaugesn? will try that first. . . maybe GTO needles!
thanks too bcjack.. good suggestion!
today working on dropping fuel tank and entire generator. more on that project later.
hamelrider

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Bandit2 Tip number 2!
Cut a hole in the coach floor around 6" x 6" above the fuel sender-makes accessing the tank/sender/wiring much easier in the future.
Do this whilst the tank is removed of course :mrgreen:
Replace any hoses that look suspect too.
Restoring a 1986 Lesharo TD[now finished and on the road! check out the restoration]http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1713
If my posts seem short and to the point-its because I type with one finger. Running sweet on home made bio.
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2