Chrysler 3.0 Conversion

This forum is to ask and questions or concerns in converting your Le'Sharo over to Dodge.

Chrysler 3.0 Conversion

Unread postby Terry » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:59 am

Does anyone recognize this 3.0 conversion? It is still titled out of Washington so I think the previous owner who converted it was there. It has a busted windshield and missing brakes. The sink/fridge was relocated to behind the driver and it does not look like vents were cut in the wall for it. Supposedly it starts, runs and drives but no brakes. Either the system is shot or it was taken apart for repair or upgrade and was left undone. The current owner got it as is and it has sat.

This isnt an S-Works conversion is it? I wonder how the 3.0 does and I wonder what the donor was.

1984 Lesharo, 3.8 Chrysler, Plano, Texas, USA
Terry
Site Admin

Articles: 8

Re: Chrysler 3.0 Conversion

Unread postby Terry » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:21 pm

So more on this vehicle. The current owner has done nothing with it and doesnt know much about it. I am hoping to track down the previous owner to ask about the conversion and why it was left like it is. It appears to have been sold while on the road as far as I can tell.

Apparently the brakes have failed and it needs that reworked.

The front window needs replacing.

The rear window is plexiglass and needs replacing.

The donor car dash cluster looks to have never been hooked up so I guess the conversion was never completed.

So what I need to figure out is if I want to spend the $1000 in expenses to go pick this thing up, then find the parts needed to make the coach good, then finish the engine swap conversion and fix what needs fixing. I dunno if I am up for the challenge but this project is coming in so cheap that I'm having a hard time passing it up. The hard part is done right? What is a little bit of cluster wiring, no AC compressor, no title, and other stuff... It's got a V6.

What say you guys?
Terry
Site Admin

Unread postby Terry » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:06 am

I am wondering if the donor is something like a 1992 Chrysler Lebaron. Epa gives that 3.0 a 25mpg hwy with the 4 speed auto. That rings right in my ears. Wasnt someone pushing Lebarons as donors in the past?
Terry
Site Admin

Unread postby greg-mt » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Not one of ours.

S~works RV Inc.

815 Rottweiler Ln.

Belgrade, MT 59714

Info@lesharo.com

www.lesharo.com

"LeSharos that bring you home"
Greg

S~works RV Inc.
170 Timberline Dr. #6
Bozeman, MT 59718
Info@lesharo.com
www.lesharo.com

"LeSharos that bring you home"
greg-mt

Unread postby silkear » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:03 pm

here is a link to the allpar.com site for a bit of history on the 3.0l..
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/3.html
the really undesirable thing about this engine is the mechanical distributor... you wonder why since it was made at the same time that the 3.3/3.8L engines, which are fully electronic, were being designed.... i think this was a gap-filler drivetrain for Chrysler... but if the engine/tranny hold up as well as the 3.3, then this will be a good unit...
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Unread postby sakedude » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:26 pm

The 3.0 is a great engine and should have no problem pulling the mh around. The transmission on the other hand is weak for such a heavy vehicle. As an ex car dealer, I avoided any vehicle with that trans. There were kits available to change the shift patterns so the computer would not hunt for what gear it should be in. The kit had extra friction clutches and steels and gaskets etc, a really good lock up torque converter is a good idea also. I'm curious how one causes major brake failure. Good luck.
87 2.2gas/auto
sakedude

Unread postby farvernugen » Sun May 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Terry,

I have a chrysler minivan, 99, with that engine in it. I have not come across a worse engine ever! It burns oil, leaks everywhere! This is the second tranny & Engine in this van, first engine suffered bearing ceasure.... which helped finish off the POC transmission. Installed a rebuilt tranny and a used engine.... and it still leaks oil and the transmission is still a piece of junk! I use this van for work as a bit of a hauler, so can tell you that there is nooooo way this combo should be used in a LeSharo!

I would have put the 3.3 in if it would have worked, but aparently there are too many discrepancies between the 3.0 and the 3.3.

Anyone doing their homework would have run away from this combination before adding it to a LeSharo upgrade.

Cheers, Scott
1991 Lesharo, 2.2 Bendix, auto, Ontario, Canada
farvernugen