2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT for Conversion?

This forum is to ask and questions or concerns in converting your Le'Sharo over to Dodge.

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT for Conversion?

Unread postby mloganusda » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:33 am

I have found a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with a 3.8L V6 that I can buy the whole vechile for about $1500 and the engine has only 29K miles. It was hit in the front end and I have not looked at it yet. Would this be a good powertrain to convert to? Because of the newer computers would this be a nightmare? Do I need to look to the mid 90's for a conversion powertrain? I can do mechanical work but not sure if I could do the DIY conversion. Would this be a good start using S-Works kit that Greg sells?
Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas
Now 04' Rialta
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Re: 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT for Conversion?

Unread postby silkear » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Mike, i'm fairly comfortable with this realm.. that engine & the electronics would be ideal for your conversion. the tranny is useless & would cause more problems than it worth, but the tranny computer(TCM) will work just fine with the A606/42TE tranny. that is the LHS Series one, found in the Intrepid, New Yorker, & yes the Prowler.... bolts right up, no issues.. the PCM will require the fuel tank emissions to work properly, but you can retro fit a GM tank into the LS and the Chry components will work just fine... there are some items that the 3.8 will need to have done... but it is not that difficult... i did this type of conversion about 40K miles ago and am very happy.. it is more powerful than the 3.5 with all the advantages of the 3.3...
should have my web-page silkear.com up this week and it will give you some insights to the 3.8 install.... Lou(Trafic/Wanderer) has seen my conversion and may have some opinions on it, good or otherwise...
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Re: 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT for Conversion?

Unread postby Trafic » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:19 am

silkear wrote:Mike, i'm fairly comfortable with this realm.. that engine & the electronics would be ideal for your conversion. the tranny is useless & would cause more problems than it worth, but the tranny computer(TCM) will work just fine with the A606/42TE tranny. that is the LHS Series one, found in the Intrepid, New Yorker, & yes the Prowler.... bolts right up, no issues.. the PCM will require the fuel tank emissions to work properly, but you can retro fit a GM tank into the LS and the Chry components will work just fine... there are some items that the 3.8 will need to have done... but it is not that difficult... i did this type of conversion about 40K miles ago and am very happy.. it is more powerful than the 3.5 with all the advantages of the 3.3...
should have my web-page silkear.com up this week and it will give you some insights to the 3.8 install.... Lou (Trafic/Wanderer) has seen my conversion and may have some opinions on it, good or otherwise...

My opinions on John's conversion:
John has taken the time and done the research to perfect the installation and update the power train. His conversion has the best executed installation and cleanest Chrysler conversion I have ever seen; I consider him the authority on Chrysler conversions and I hope to get my Chrysler conversion as close to his as possible.
Lou
Winnebago LeSharo Wanderer
Delray Beach Fl, USA
Trafic