I did it my way; my LeSharo Trafic

This forum is for any other conversions not covered in the previous forums.

I did it my way; my LeSharo Trafic

Unread postby Trafic » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:48 pm

My LeSharo Trafic :idea:

The Winnebago Lesharo is a great design; it has a small footprint but provides optimal space. This is because it is front wheel drive and the floor is lower than conventional RVs. For me this unit is an ideal size as it is easy to park and can travel practically anywhere a large van can go. The layout is excellent and the comfort level is high, not to mention that it drives great. However for me it has a few issues that I wanted to correct. The first is the small amount of storage space. Living in Florida I could not get the engine driven A/C to cool the unit well on an average summer day and it was practically useless on a hot day. Although the vehicle has appeal, I felt that the front and rear are somewhat dated. The axle springs on both of the units that I have owned are under rated and the back tends to be a little on the low side. So I decided to update my LeSharo and correct these issues and more.

I went condominium and raised the roof to accommodate a bunk with a storage area above the driver and passenger and put in more storage cabinets. I also decided to raise the roof on the bathroom in order to have more headspace for the shower and added a dedicated vent. I installed an engine driven rear A/C unit for more comfortable summer drives and rear air bags to level the back of the RV. The front and back also got a makeover. I wanted to re- name this unit; the LeSharo is built on a Renault Trafic van so I decided on that name. I hope you enjoy the pictures of my yet to be completed Trafic: In the near future I will post more pictures and build threads.
Lou

Last edited by Trafic on Tue May 18, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Trafic

Unread postby Alan Bergman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi Lou,
Great to see your project on here. Have you had a chance to drive it yet. If so I am wondering if the addition changed the driving characteristics much?
Your work really inspires me. I love the detail in the finish work. To bad you were not a neighbor of mine because I could use a few lessons.
I noticed in some of your other pictures that you used a canopy structure to good facility for a work space. I have been thinking about something like that but I am a little afraid of the South Dakota winds. Do you have any problems with wind there?
Al
My "Cottage Car" is a 1985 Lesharo with a 3.8 Buick V6
Alan Bergman

Unread postby John Niekamp » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:41 pm

Lou,

I am in utter shock. :shock: :shock: :shock: You done a superb job on this design and I would have not known where to start, much less have the vision and knowledge to do such work.

I am surprised that you have retained to keep the engine. Does the added wind load cause any havoc on the already under-powered engine?

What a great piece of work, PLEASE keep adding things to the forum.

John
John Niekamp

Thanks for the comments guys.

Unread postby Trafic » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:31 am

Alan; I bolted the canopy legs to the ground, living in Florida I experienced up to 40 mph winds without any problems during hurricane season, I found that canopies hold wind better when they are next to a structure as it will help deflect the wind.

Interestingly enough driving is basically un affected; the unit cruises comfortably at 60-65. I will take it on a mountain trip within the next month, since my last unit was a 5 speed, I am curious to see how the automatic will perform.

John; I am keeping the original powertrain for now as it is very healthy. However after I finish all the modifications, take a break and use the RV for a couple of trips I plan to replace the powertrain with a Hybrid unit.

Last edited by Trafic on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trafic

Ocala Natioanl Forrest

Unread postby Trafic » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:23 am

We drove the unit out for a trial run this weekend to the Ocala National Forest and it ran exceptionally well. I am running the factory engine and automatic transmission and was surprised that even with the high top conversion we averaged 15.3 mpg at 60 - 65 MPH. Top speed has come down from 75 to 72 MPH at 5500 rpms but I believe that is only because I am using 195 tires instead of the 205s. We camped out in northern Ocala and then came down the west coast of Florida after visiting Homosossa Springs. The extension to the the top was worth it, as the coach is now far more comfortable with the added storage and new bunk; everyone has their space so longer stays are now more likely. Overall we drove about 1000 miles and are looking forward to out of state trips.♦
Last edited by Trafic on Tue May 18, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trafic

Unread postby Hughes » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Very nice. Thanks for the report/update!
Hughes

Unread postby Phasar » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:17 am

Wow! such talent we have around here.. really nice work.

When you have some time could you add details on how you did the power windows? And what air shock system you went with in the rear?

Ever since I got mine I was thinking of raising the roof, adding pwr windows and mirrors and you brought that into reality, thanks for the inspiration!

Looking forward to seeing your future enhancements..

Cheers!
Phasar

Unread postby Trafic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:35 am

pdeloge wrote:Wow! such talent we have around here.. really nice work.

When you have some time could you add details on how you did the power windows? And what air shock system you went with in the rear?

Ever since I got mine I was thinking of raising the roof, adding pwr windows and mirrors and you brought that into reality, thanks for the inspiration!

Looking forward to seeing your future enhancements..

Cheers!

Thanks for your kind comments; I will do a power window post next week, it is not difficult and although I though it was unnecessary to have power windows they are far more comfortable to use than the crank.
The rear of the coach has air bags, they are commonly found at RV suppliers. They are easy to install , just weld on the mounting brackets, and install the air bags and air lines. I recommend them as they do not alter the ride adversely. I keep an on board air compressor and used it with the air bags to level out the unit on our last outing. In my opinion air bags are "must do" for LeSharos.

Here is what they look like installed:

Here is a link to a similar set up on ebay;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAC-AIR- ... enameZWDVW
Last edited by Trafic on Tue May 18, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trafic

Unread postby Phasar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:14 am

I see, not too much to the airlift system. Thanks for that.

Looking forward to the pwr window info..
Phasar

Unread postby Trafic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:51 am

Here Is the power window thread:
http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=184
Trafic

Next