1986 Winnebago Lesharo 4BT Interior tour

This forum is for any other conversions not covered in the previous forums.

1986 Winnebago Lesharo 4BT Interior tour

Unread postby RV4BT » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:41 pm

I made a video to give a tour of the interior of our LeSharo to show the changes we did to it. It is rather long but gives you a pretty complete interior tour.

Hope you enjoy it! Ken
Lesharo 4BTRV
Cummins Powered Bliss
RV4BT

Re: 1986 Winnebago Lesharo 4BT Interior tour

Unread postby Rick H » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:48 am

Ken,
Like the interrior. My wife already likes some of your ideas.
We have been using the middle seats for a bed for awhile now for the same reasons you do.
Question about the air conditioner, ours is the 88 model and if we mounted the airconditioner where you have, we would exhaust into the spare tire compartment. You have a box on the back, does the exhaust of the airconditioner blow into that area?
Ours is in winter storage now, beside the house, so we are getting ideas that we may put into effect next year.
You have done a great job with yours.
Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby RV4BT » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Rick,
It may be hard to tell but the AC is supported from the bottom by a steel welded in frame that is mounted to the frame rail extensions. 2"x 2" 1/4" tubing, I installed about 18" + into each frame rail, and the remaining part supports the trunk and bumper framing. You can tell this 3 foot steel rectangular tube by the fact that the hitch is mounted to it.

ImageAir Conditioner and trunk frame by Ken Bradford, on Flickr

Prior to putting the trunk on we had complete and open air which was perfect for the AC. With the trunk, I left a 3-4" gap on each side of the Air Conditioner and at this time we have not fully tested how the back of the AC will vent efficiently the hot air. The theory is that we will clear the space on the exhaust side when parked and left it vent out a cracked trunk door area. An alternate plan is to consider having a 6" power vent on one side of the trunk and on the bottom of the trunk have a grated area about 10 x 18" that when uncovered will allow air from the bottom to freely move in front of the back AC vent and then be drawn out the side.

Here is a rough image. I can tell you now that without tinting windows, block fully the front window from accepting UV Sun Heat, a 5,000 BTU would not function very well. We plan to test it more fully in our present arrangement this summer but really feel like a slightly larger 8,000 btu will be needed to easily keep up with the cooling needs.

ImageAC Plan rear trunk by Ken Bradford, on Flickr

I am more confident of the power vent plan so we can keep things locked up and dry should it rain. I may have to stash the chairs we have in the front cab when we do part but that is no problem.

We had to use to combined TV mounts to get the TV to slide around like it is and where it is. We also plan to upgrade our antenna which is an internal and adequate for now.

Ken
Lesharo 4BTRV
Cummins Powered Bliss
RV4BT

Unread postby Rick H » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:54 pm

Ken,
Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into trying that, yet I have a few obstacles such as the spare tire and the generator gas tank.
Anyways, something to think about as we find the roof air conditioner an unwanted target for our heads as well move about in the LS.
Rick
Btw the roof top units are about 7500 BTUs.
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby RV4BT » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:46 am

It is always a process of improvement. I am glad to be able to enjoy it now and have a unique vehicle that rivals the new ridiculously expensive RVs. We can add little bells and whistles and save a lot of money. Even the tag renewal is barely over $20.00 in my state. Try that with a 50k rig.

Ken
Lesharo 4BTRV
Cummins Powered Bliss
RV4BT

Unread postby RV4BT » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:13 am

After a year of evaluation through the fall and now spring of 2016 I can say that this design of putting the air out the back will only work if you have 9-10K BTU AC. This 6,000 or less smaller ACs just barely suffice in cooling the back area. We are buying a roof model, a 9.2K unit to provide the cooler needs for our RV. More pictures to follow as I install it. It was a great experiment and would work with 9-10K. Now I have a big hole to fix in the back of our RV! Ken
Lesharo 4BTRV
Cummins Powered Bliss
RV4BT