2.0 TDI AWD

This forum is for any other conversions not covered in the previous forums.

2.0 TDI AWD

Unread postby Tigon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 am

I recently bought an 84 TD that was not running in which I plan to part out. I picked it up for $1,600 with everything but engine working. The interior was surprisingly in good condition. The exterior has some visible rust and a few dents. I have also noticed a small water leak coming from the front windshield. Overall however for the price I think it was worth it. My budget for this project is $15,000. My time frame is as soon as possible but realistically I would like to have the car rolling by summer and fully done 3 summers from now. I am giving myself 3 summers because first year I want to focus on the mechanical aspects mostly. The second Summer will be interior and the last summer will be all of the bells and whistles :mrgreen:

The plan is to turn the car into an AWD TDI. I am not sure if this has ever been tried before in a Lesharo so most likely I will be going it alone on this one. I have seen a few AWD/4X4 Lesharo conversions and just fell in love with the idea. My family and I love to go camping so the thought of having an all purpose AWD camper van is just awesome.

One of the biggest draws for me to the Lesharo was the fuel economy. My goal is to improve on the 23mpg figure but add in the AWD element.
Last edited by Tigon on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tigon

Re: 2.0 TDI AWD

Unread postby Tigon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:18 am

The VW TDI (BHW) donor engine I picked up for $3,100. This donor engine has 109,000 miles on it and was out of a 2005 VW Passat TDI with failed automatic transmission. This is common with these cars as the auto trans could not handle the torque output of these engines very well if pushed. The engine was a complete swap in with everything literally everything needed to put in and run! All wiring, sensors, pedal cluster, gauge cluster, ECU, All ancillaries, Piping, engine mounts etc..

Engine Specs: "Specs were sourced from Wikipedia"
2.0 R4 8v TDI PD 47-103kW
identification
Motor type: EA 188 / parts code prefix: ???
engine configuration & engine displacement
inline four-cylinder (R4/I4) Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) turbodiesel; 1,968 cubic centimetres (120.1 cu in); bore x stroke: 81.0 by 95.5 millimetres (3.19 in × 3.76 in), stroke ratio: 0.85:1 - undersquare/long-stroke, 492.1 cc per cylinder; compression ratio: 18.5:1
cylinder block & crankcase
grey cast iron; five main bearings, die-forged steel crankshaft, fracture-split forged steel connecting rods
cylinder head & valvetrain
cast aluminium alloy; two valves per cylinder, 8 valves total, timing belt driven single overhead camshaft (SOHC)
aspiration
turbocharger, intercooler
fuel system & engine management
Pumpe Düse (PD) direct injection (DI): engine-driven vane-type low-pressure fuel lift pump, four camshaft-actuated (via roller rocker arms) high-pressure Bosch 2,200–2,400 bars (31,910–34,810 psi) Unit Injectors with solenoid valve injection nozzles, Bosch EDC 16 or EDC 17 or Siemens VDO SIMOS PPD1 electronic engine control unit (ECU) with altitude compensation, EU4 compliant
DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs, ID codes
100 kilowatts (136 PS; 134 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 310 newton metres (229 lbf⋅ft) @ 1900 rpm — BGW, BHW

The advantages to these engines:
They offer good power stock and modified with a simple ECU tune can produce 175hp/300tq. These engines are used by the TDI modders who are seeking to make big power due to there robust internals. These engines are longitudinally engineered which makes them ideal for the Lesharo conversion. These engines are relatively compact and lightweight. They are smooth running and some of the quietest TDI engines available. Lastly they get great fuel economy due to there PD direct injection platform. These are all great attributes for an appealing Lesharo engine swap.

The disadvantage to these engines:
They have a chain driven balance shaft that fails along with camshaft wear problems if proper oil is not used regularly during oil changes. Good news is both of these are easily fixed. There is a balance shaft delete kit specifically for these engines which will fix the first problem. Next use proper OEM rated diesel oil during oil changes to fix the second issue.
Last edited by Tigon on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tigon

Re: TDI Quattro

Unread postby ascii_man » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Sounds interesting!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1985 Phasar Turbo Diesel. USA, Midwest
ascii_man

Re: 2.0 TDI AWD

Unread postby Tigon » Mon May 07, 2018 1:05 am

I decided to take a little different approach to this project. Instead of reinventing the wheel with an Audi Quattro AWD I decided to go with a more familiar 2002 GMC Safari AWD. I found a Chevy Small Block adapter for the 2.0 TDI engine which will allow me to bolt it up to the 4L60e transmission. I went ahead and purchased a 2002 GMC Safari with a blown transmission. The current plan is to rebuild the 4L60e transmission to with stand over 400hp and 400tq. Once this is complete I will purchase the adapter and get the 2.0 TDI bolted up to the 4L60e.

Here is the link to the Chevy Small Block Adapter for the TDI engine = http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/adapter/
Tigon

Return to All Other Conversions