lockup converter

This forum is to ask and questions or concerns in converting your Le'Sharo over to Dodge.

lockup converter

Unread postby thummmper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 pm

has anyone had trouble with their overdrive? My donor was a 94 vision tsi with 175000 miles.
I have the running temperature up over 200f now and she still won't lockup. I'm not running chrysler fans.
thummmper

Re: lockup converter

Unread postby thummmper » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:26 pm

my transmission guy test drove her and did diagnostics-- apparently it tries to lock up in 4th gear but it bounces in and out and wont stay-- they suspect the clutch itsself needs replacing-- a common issue with high mileage transaxles--[175000]
next month I'll just get it rebuilt. I was afraid it was a control module issue. There are clutch lining thickness sensors that alert with excessive wear. there is a retaining snap ring update kit that replaces the original as well. They said they almost never replace the transfer chain. It stretches very little.

I also went to a california smog referee here in san diego and he loved my conversion and it passed smog, but my home-made fuel tank cannot be certified by carb, but he will accept a modified stock tank--that houses the pump module-- so I'm working on that presently. He said theres quite a shelf life for the issue--I could come back in a week or a year and he would resume where he left off. nice guy--not the ogre I was expecting--
thummmper

Re: lockup converter

Unread postby Commkruge » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:11 am

My conversion was a 97 intrepid. If you are going through the rebuild process there is a heavy duty rebuild kit that can be used in the place of the stock rebuild kit. Stronger pump, clutches and all other wearable parts. Is a couple hundred bucks more but is worth it. As far as staying locked in OD on the flats and small hills at 70 mph mine held well any hills it was in and out. 50-68 mph the engine has no power and would constantly trip it in and out. Once in a power band it would roll. Also the cruise control tends to be a little too rough in hilly terrain.
89 Original Bendix
3.3 87 Lesharo in Northern Iowa
Commkruge