Timing belt

This forum is to post any questions or problems relating to the ORIGINAL Renault Le'Sharo such as Mechanical, Electrical, gas 2.2 Engine, Transmission, Drive-Train, Brakes, etc.

Timing belt

Unread postby bitrootvz » Thu May 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Has any one changed the timing belt with out taking off the radiator?
bitrootvz

Re: Timing belt

Unread postby Trafic » Thu May 16, 2013 12:27 pm

bitrootvz wrote:Has any one changed the timing belt with out taking off the radiator?

There is no need to remove the radiator to replave the timing belt.
Lou
Winnebago LeSharo Wanderer
Delray Beach Fl, USA
Trafic

Unread postby bitrootvz » Thu May 16, 2013 8:50 pm

ok started the replacement and got the serpiten(sp) belt off and the cove bolts when I discovered i had to remove the crank pully. how do you get this off easily?
bitrootvz

Unread postby mloganusda » Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 am

If you follow the service manual, you have to use a pin to keep the crank from turning while you undo the bolt. This is more involved than what I did to hold the crank from turning. I used a brake adjuster tool (or strong steel rod) to keep the flywheel from turning while undoing the bolt. The bolt is very hard to undo so you have to use a socket and long handle breaker bar or torque wrench.
Do not use too much torque or you may break a tooth on the flywheel.
Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas
Now 04' Rialta
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:24 am

I have to disagree-the manual says not to use the crank locking pin as a method to remove the pully bolt-it will bend/break.
I used a tyre iron on the starter ring with,as you say, precautions.......although I have used this method on numerous cars for years and never had a problem :P
Best if you use an assistent to crack the bolt whilst you hold your prefered tool in place.
You should'nt use a torgue wrench to undo things cos it messes up the settings [told this by a guy whos job it was to calibrate them for safety crittical tools] strechs the spring the wrong way or something like that.
Restoring a 1986 Lesharo TD[now finished and on the road! check out the restoration]http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1713
If my posts seem short and to the point-its because I type with one finger. Running sweet on home made bio.
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2