Auto Transmission Engaged

Lesharo-Owners Groups email list

Auto Transmission Engaged

Unread postby aldean » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:57 pm

My rig auto transmission is acting up on me. After leaving the rig since last winter, I checked the tranny fluids and noticed that it was too low. I top it up with Dexron 3 and started it for about 15 to half an hour. Seemed like the auto tranny did do nothing when I shift to gear. No go at all.

As i have to move the rig to my new place. I called tow truck to tow it away. They put it in "Neutral" and tried to tow it. The front wheels like stuck and refused to roll.

Was it the front wheels hot jammed as its not being driven for a while...or the tranny wont disengaged?

However, the mechanic told me " I will be back" and i m still waiting for him for the past 2 weeks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

aLdean

87 phasar

automatic

2.2L

Connecticut 06405

--- lesharo-owners 1436896802.M010875P600Q1
aldean

RE: Auto Transmission Engaged

Unread postby refrigman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Front wheel drive is so uncommon that they,always send a flared for RVS but our rigs tow well with a hook type towvtruck, especially in your case,with front wheels locked up. So why not call a tow company and request that type tow? They should have no trouble moving your rig to your new location with front wheels lifted As to underlying cause of your lockup, mine is a,converted Chrysler driveline so I have no clue. But I thought my experience with towing might help. Good luck.Dave

--- lesharo-owners 1436900401.M495250P600Q1
refrigman

Re: Auto Transmission Engaged

Unread postby Larry Sr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Aldean,

You probably had it parked in Park all winter, which is normal, and for all practical purposes he transmission is locked.
When you started the engine and decided to move it in gear, did the shifter seem hard to move or did it seem hard at first, then easy?
If it was real hard to move the handle you might have a jammed cable and not shifted it out of park. If it moved easier than normal, you probably have a broke shift cable, or the cable has worked loose from the shifting lever on the transmission case. This is on the drivers side of the transmission above the dipstick tube.
Also, when you dip sticked the transmission, was the engine running warmed up with shift lever in park or neutral? These transmissions are critical about fluid level. Total change capacity is 2.1 to 2.6 quart per the owners manual. Hope you find it If the cable is jammed or broken there are some used cables around should you need one.
Larry Sr
lsrschoppe@aol.com

--- lesharo-owners 1436904002.M276500P4092Q1
Larry Sr

Unread postby Rebe Feraldi » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:47 pm

I had my transmission suddenly start acting up (wouldn't shift out of 1st)
and looked through our blog noticing that a possible quick/easy thing to
check was that the bundle of wires sending data from tranny to ECU was
hanging to close to the higher voltage distributor cap and rotor. I used a
cable tie to pull them up away from the vicinity of the distributor cap and
that did the trick for me, thank goodness it was nothing more serious...not
sure this applies or will help you but it's a simple thing to check.

Good Luck!
Rebe
1985 2.2L Bosch Gas Engine

Rebe Feraldi
LCA & Sustainability Analyst, LCACP

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:55 PM, refrigman RefrigMan@aol.com

--- lesharo-owners 1436904002.M557750P4092Q2
Rebe Feraldi

Unread postby Bush Boismier » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:02 pm

is your front calipers pads and rotors possibly seized from sitting this would keep it from moving.[dave 1988 lesharo]

--- lesharo-owners 1436918403.M745250P3396Q1
Bush Boismier