Power after head replacement

Lesharo-Owners Groups email list

Re: Power after head replacement

Unread postby 'Mark' » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:09 pm

Can you get a timing light on the vehicle to make sure it is firing at the right time? After reading some more, it isn't possible to adjust timing by turning the distributer since it is driven from the notches on the flywheel. That doesn't mean that it is firing correctly. A timing light will rule this one in or out. My inspirational message quoted from Sherlock Holmes. "Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth".

Keep the information coming. Collectively, we will figure it out.

Mark

--- lesharo-owners 1403582401.M200500P2504Q1
'Mark'

Unread postby populuxe59 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:59 pm

Fred,
Any chance that water got into the fuel while the unit was down?

It's been a while since I had the Blue book open to the TDC part on my '88. Back when I adjusted valves. That would have been my first investigation--if the timing was off, the valves could be really off, etc.

I think you will stumble onto an "ah-ha!" moment. Please let us know, your so close now.

Chris C
-88-

--- lesharo-owners 1403582401.M325500P2504Q2
populuxe59

Unread postby 'derfnarb@yahoo.com [Lesharo-owners] » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:24 pm

Im still using the old gas from last fall. I did add injector cleaner. I was wondering if you can connect the wrong injectors. Just 2 and 3 questionable. The gas is interesting thought but it revs high. Thanks fot the input. I put on a new distributor cap and rotor to eliminate that. I asked before but do you think I should tighten the head bolts some more?

--- lesharo-owners 1403586001.M903625P3280Q1
'derfnarb@yahoo.com [Lesharo-owners]

Unread postby 'derfnarb@yahoo.com [Lesharo-owners] » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:52 pm

I dont know how you would check fuel pressure while driving. Can I rent a pressure gauge?. The engine has a high rev. It seems like there is pressure. If the pressure was low would it not be hesitating? I was asked about bad gas. I guess I will fill up to eliminate that issue. Would it hurt to over torque the head bolts a little. I only used a clicker type harbor freight torque wrench (new). Thanks for all the input. Everything helps. Fred. I found an open vacuum line near the transmission at the interior cubby hole. Is there a vacuum line near the standard trans? If there were minor vacuum leaks it would not cause drastic power issues would it?

--- lesharo-owners 1403586002.M028625P3280Q2

Re: Lesharo-owners] Power after head replacement

Unread postby 'Mark' » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:00 am

If you have torqued the bolts to 70 ft pounds then leave it. Over-torque will cause the bolts to stretch past their yield point. In other words, yes, it could hurt if you over torque the head bolts. I highly doubt this problem has anything to do with head torque.

Mark

--- lesharo-owners 1403607601.M513000P2852Q1
'Mark'

Unread postby 'derfnarb@yahoo.com [Lesharo-owners] » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:21 am

Thanks Mark. I just read all the answers. I missed some before so I am sorry if I repeated. Im glad to know it probably is not a torque issue. I am now leaning towards a bad gas issue. I had a half open barely covered engine all winter. There was water in my oil pan. Maybe water in the gas. I just added a water antifreeze and tomorrow I will fill up with gas. I hope I wont need to drain whats there. The oil still looks good. No visable water on dipstick. Starts up quick. There could still be a vacuum issue. Glad to know I should not re torque at this point. Fred. Thanks so much for the input. I want this thing reliably running so very much.

--- lesharo-owners 1403607601.M684875P2852Q2

Unread postby 'derfnarb@yahoo.com [Lesharo-owners] » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:32 am

In answer to the roughness or galaping roughness. The engine is not really running rough. Fairly smooth now. I just cant get down the road well. At this point I feel bad gas could be the Issue except that it idles well. There is a hesitation when pushing the gas pedal.

--- lesharo-owners 1403607601.M747375P2852Q3

Unread postby 'b.elliott' » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:51 am

Hi
It is doubtful that the gas is that bad,the lighter components evaporate
over time leaving the heavier stuff behind but to have that happen
within a few months is imho unlikely,that said it does no harm to fill
up with new.
Brian
Ps mine had stood for 2 years and still ran ok

On 24-6-2014 6:52, 'derfnarb@yahoo.com' derfnarb@yahoo.com

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

--- lesharo-owners 1403618401.M388000P2820Q3
'b.elliott'

Unread postby 'b.elliott' » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:57 am

HI
Is the vacuum line to the ICU still good??,since the vacuum is used to
advance the ignition when giving gas,Idle and low revs won't be affected
by ICU inoperative
Bria

On 24-6-2014 8:32, 'derfnarb@yahoo.com' derfnarb@yahoo.com

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

--- lesharo-owners 1403618401.M559875P2820Q4
'b.elliott'

Unread postby RonOhler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Improper camshaft timing can result in an engine that idles but will not rev up well. I've deliberately altered cam timing on specialty use engines. How was it running BEFORE the belt was changed? If that was the only thing you changed then you need to look at it again. Having the cover off and trying to guesstimate the mark locations is asking for an error to be present. It is not easy to do but you can use a mirror if you need to get a better look. If all else fails - pull the front grill/headlight assembly off and the radiator. I suspect the belt is one tooth off. Leave the head alone until you know what the issue is and that it needs to be removed. If you think seeing if the belt is timed right with the cover in place is difficult - then dealing with a head R&R is not a realistic endeavor for you. FYI - reasonably proper head bolt re-torque would entail removing each head bolt - one at a time - cleaning and applying a drop or two of oil
to the threads and re-installing with proper torque values. Sometimes head bolts come out hard. I just did a head gasket job on an industrial engine last week due to a leaking head gasket causing overheating. Broke 5 head bolts off in the block trying to get the bolts out. That engine is fixed and running great now. Note - it only uses 35 to 40ft/lb of torque on it's 32 head bolts.
Best regards.
Ron Ohler

--- lesharo-owners 1403632801.M497375P1504Q2
RonOhler

PreviousNext