transmission oil cooler

Lesharo-Owners Groups email list

transmission oil cooler

Unread postby Darrell » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Can anyone tell me which is the out flow line from the transmission, upper or lower at the radiator. I installed an aftermarket cooler ( hayden 404 ultra-cool up to GVR rated 22,000 pounds) . I eliminated EOM cooler in the radiator. Results haven't been what I was hoping for. Just took it out for a test run in this Florida sunshine. Laser temp was 214 degrees.That is really no improvement, I think. I might as well go back and add it to the original cooler after it leaves the radiator. Also, any idea what the thread size is on the radiator? The one included in the kit is not quite correct.

Darrell
87 Phasar gas auto

--- lesharo-owners 1497556803.M744250P2336Q1
Darrell

Re: transmission oil cooler

Unread postby scott.edwards » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Darrell,

The AT fluid cooler is done with the fluid to fluid exchanger beside the engine (2 large rad hoses attached to it). The final drive fluid is cooled in the rad.

So not sure if you will see any difference in the transmission, per say.

Cheers, Scott

--- lesharo-owners 1497556804.M306750P2336Q2
scott.edwards

Unread postby Darrell » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Damn, This is what happens when you assume.

Thanks Scott

--- lesharo-owners 1497556804.M806750P2336Q3
Darrell

Unread postby scott.edwards » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:28 pm

All is not lost Darrell..... Now when you go to replace your Rad, you can go for a much simpler one, easier to find, probably less money, as the 87-895 rad is NLA, so is a weak point if you are on the road and need a replacement. Now all you need is one that will fit and it does not have to be partitioned..... so more cooling for your engine and transmission........ so maybe this should be your next project!

Cheers, Scott

--- lesharo-owners 1497556805.M431750P2336Q4
scott.edwards

Unread postby David Martin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:09 am

I have a Chrysler conversion with the Chrysler radiator from the donor vehicle so I am basing this response on what I have read here, but isn't the tricky part about the original radiators (other than matching physical space and mounting points) the integral temperature sensors controlling the fans and, maybe, gauges. My Chrysler original radiator from the donor 1994 Concorde was an easy adaptation that matches the replacement engine and harness and gauges, but it would not match the requirements of the original electrical system for sensors. Mounting an external transmission fluid cooler was also easy, as well as a temp gauge and sensor for that fluid line. But finding a replacement for the NLA OEM radiator is not that simple, I believe. That's why John Sargent had to have one custom made for a lot of $ to not only fit, but take the right sensors as well. Good luck.

--- lesharo-owners 1497783604.M194500P3820Q1
David Martin

Unread postby Larry sr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:18 am

With the Chrysler Drivetrain, you should be using the donors Chrysler radiator.Get the year model instructions for the radiator system, and wire accordingly. DON'T try to wire in a drivers control bypass switch since the fans are controlled through the ECU, and you might damage that. Last Chrysler ECU I bought from the Chrysler dealer cost about $1,000
John's radiator was for a 2.2 H-body and used the bottom temp sender to control the relays that control the fans. A new radiator from one of the franchise auto parts stores (Auto Zone, etc )will be MUCH cheaper than having one built. IMHO

Larry Sr
lsrschoppe@aol.com

--- lesharo-owners 1497870004.M991375P5212Q1
Larry sr