1984 Diesel Injection Pump

This forum is for nothing but the diesel powered Le'Sharo aspirated, non-aspirated and turbos engines

1984 Diesel Injection Pump

Unread postby Sting1 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:47 pm

So, I just purchased my first Lesharo last week from a guy up in Burbank, WA (I live in L.A.) I got it about 4 hours down the road and realized it was leaking Brake fluid and diesel fuel. After a few different shops looked at it, we found out that the Fuel Injection Pump was bad, as well as the Master and Slave Cylinders, Fuel Filter and Fuel Water separater.

I found a place up in Sequim,WA who was willing to work on it for me, so
I ordered the parts from Moblity. Unfortunately the Fuel Filter got shipped to my home in California, but at least the big ones (Fuel Injector Pump, and Master and Slave cylinders made it).

However, after following the instructions in the Mobility Service Manuals and replacing the Injection Pump, the good guys at Petersen's Automotive cannot get the TDI engine to turn over. They've primed the fuel lines (found to leaking lines that had been rubbing against the frame and replaced those), and replaced the fuel filter with a VW one, but still no luck.

There was some question when setting the timing as to whether they should turn the engine CW or CCW... the manuals don't specify apparently, so they followed their knowledge of VW and Audi engines and went CCW from TDC. It still didn't start so they called Mobility and the man there said to turn it CW from TDC.... didn't help. Then they called the folks at Sworks RV in Montana and a guy there said to turn it CCW from TDC.... which they will try in the morning.

Another confusing aspect is the word "BDC". It's in the manuals to turn it such and such a distance from TDC then such and such a distance from BDC. Does that mean "Before Top Dead Center" or "Bottom Dead Center"? My mechanic had not heard of that acronym before.

Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what could be the problem? Is it possible that the "new" rebuilt Fuel Injection Pump I bought is bad? The Sworks guy seemed to think that sometimes the folks who rebuild them just replace a couple screws and don't check the internal piston which feeds the fuel.

Is there another person my mechanics could call and talk to? They're great guys, and actually seem to be enjoying the challenge.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Jay
1984 Diesel Turbo Lesharo, with rebuilt Injection pump...
Sting1

Diesel Pump Fixec

Unread postby Sting1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:54 pm

In answer to my own debacle.... It turns out that whoever had previously worked on the engine had said the timing marks off of the 4th cylinder. So, TDC for the engine was actually for Cylinder number 4, while the Injection pump was shooting fuel to cylinder 1.

After rotating the camshaft gear so that the Number 1 cylinder was at TDC, we then had to tweak the timing of the Injection Pump as well (apparently, the rebuild was not exactly inline with the external markings) by removing the Timing belt repeatedly and moving it a couple of teeth at a time, sliding the belt back on, trying to turn the engine over, etc.

Finally she turned over after a week of nada! However, by the time my 1984 Lesharo was running, I didn't have time to drive it down the coast to L.A. So, my wife and 2-year old flew back to L.A. sans Lesharo :(

But, I am now quite familiar and comfortable with changing the timing belt, setting the timing, and fiddling with the engine.... all set to begin my conversion to WVO! Dual tank of course...
Sting1

WVO

Unread postby ryanaslett » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:41 am

So I just bought a box of parts from a guy who runs a business here in portland oregon called "Grease not Gas".. Apparently he has had 3 lesharos running on wvo, and does conversions.. he may have some information or advice for you. He took a lesharo and got sponsored by Clif Bar and drove around to various ski hills filming a movie from the WVO powered lesharo.

Anyhow, thought I'd pass that on. If you are interested Ill get you his information...
ryanaslett

WVO

Unread postby Sting1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Excellent! I would love to get his info. I'd be willing to buy parts and such, as well as pay for advice. The actual conversion I'm looking forward to doing myself, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel...
Sting1