Ignition key blank for Lesharo keys

This forum is for anything related to the Le'Sharo coach itself. Anything Winnebago Coach area: wiring, house battery, Roof, plumbing, appliances, problems and/or other ideas or suggestions. Anything that doesn't deal with the engine or transmission.

Ignition key blank for Lesharo keys

Unread postby Terry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:32 pm

When researching, I did not find much about this topic so I thought that I would share since it caused me a little grief.

I made a run for keys to an actual locksmith store knowing that these would be a bit tricky to locate. In my unit, the ignition key has a little notch at the end of it and the door key does not. I imagined that this was an added security feature but I let the key guy do what he could do. He did not find a blank with the notch and made me keys using a similar blank without the notch. Well they worked on the door but not the ignition which was a bummer. So alas, the notch is indeed part of the security feature for the ignition keys.

I used my dremel and actually chiseled a good analog for the notch but it didnt work. I think these blanks were actually a little bit thick to work in the ignition and that notch needs to be perfectly aligned as well.

I did some research on American brands of keys and found one that looked like it would do the job and indeed it does, very well. And one thing that I like a lot about it is that it has a small keyring hole in the top center like "normal" keys do, not this oddball foreign offset hole that makes the key stick out from the pack in your pocket.

So if your ignition key has the notch or slit in it like mine, the ILCO X147 key blank will work for both the ignition and the doors. Most locksmiths will be able to stamp a label on the keys for you too, so I took a big D for the door keys.

Image Image
1984 Lesharo, 3.8 Chrysler, Plano, Texas, USA
Terry
Site Admin

Articles: 8