Air Shocks for Rear of LeSharo

This forum is for anything related to the Le'Sharo coach itself. Anything Winnebago Coach area: wiring, house battery, Roof, plumbing, appliances, problems and/or other ideas or suggestions. Anything that doesn't deal with the engine or transmission.

Air Shocks for Rear of LeSharo

Unread postby Pastor Ron » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:25 am

Monroe air shocks # MA815 will fit the rear of LeSharo's. I got mine at O'reilly's auto store for $74.99 a pair which also includes the airlines & valves. Easy to install.

Remove rear dinette seats, loosen top nut on each old shock located on each wheelwell, raise rear end of leSharo, remove old shocks.

Install new shocks from the top first, lower vehicle, attach bottoms of shocks, greasing bolt.

I ran my air lines into vehicle by drilling small hole above new shocks on both sides, ran new lines to new valve included and mounted the new valve on the base of dinete next to water heater switch , running one side of air lines under carpet to valve.

Running mine at 60# of air each.....How sweet it is!

Blessings
Pastor Ron
Pastor Ron

Re: Air Shocks for Rear of LeSharo

Unread postby Ray Charbonneau » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Ron,
Did this lift your unit any?
I have a slight sag in the rear and am wondering if the air shocks would help level it out.
Ray
Ray Charbonneau
Winter Haven, FL
"WinneBuick"
88 Winnebago LeSharo w/ Buick 3.8
Ray Charbonneau

Unread postby Rick H » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Pastor Ron,

If you are a member of the Lesharo-owners group on the Yahoo groups, look at message 13375, as one of the members talks about the use of air bags to raise the rear end. He also gives a description about installation and his observations of the improvements.
I did see his LS at the Rally last year and it does look good.
Hope it helps,
Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANA'z Bus'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby Commkruge » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:00 pm

My unit had roadmaster springs put on by Greg at sworks which allows me to adjust as needed. However I have not needed to raise them. They look fairly easy to put on. Just another thought!
89 Original Bendix
3.3 87 Lesharo in Northern Iowa
Commkruge

Unread postby populuxe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:37 pm

When I had my exhaust repaired, found out the guy specialized in suspension work. I threw all the roadmaster/airbag ideas at him but was not impressed. He really hates the idea of air on a RV because of the problem if one shock goes out while your out on the road? "Your gonna be S.O.L.". He didn't like the idea of small shock helper springs to hold up a 6,000 lb RV. His solution was very tried and true. Not sexy. He had the original leafs re-arched and added a 3rd new leaf. See? It may be too old fashioned for most and there are no gimmicks---just leaf springs.
I didn't really care how the rear sag was solved, but it sure is nice to not have to think about it anymore and I don't have any special shocks to be concerned with.
Chris Christensen Wisconsin, USA
88 LeSharo
01 Villager minivan
80 Vespa
populuxe

Unread postby Commkruge » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:15 pm

I would agree with you on the rearching of tired springs and adding a 3rd leaf to take up the slack. I also agree with you on the air bags under the unit
if one of those go you are sitting on your axle. The roadmasters I have are quite heavy and are rated at 3300lbs each which brought my unit level which is nice. I like the ability to adjust them if I want to put a load on the rear. To date though she handles anything I have thrown at it.. And there is nothing wrong with old fashion! Happy camping!
89 Original Bendix
3.3 87 Lesharo in Northern Iowa
Commkruge

Unread postby populuxe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:11 pm

OK, we have leafs, air-bags/shocks and the Roadmaster shocks with springs. Right? Those would be 3 ways to lift the back?
When my guy offered to take care of the sag I was pleasantly surprised. He had his idea of what would be best (from his knowledge and experience) and WHENEVER YOU CAN GET SOMEONE TO DO COMPETANT WORK ON YOUR LESHARO, let them go with it, I say.
Chris Christensen Wisconsin, USA
88 LeSharo
01 Villager minivan
80 Vespa
populuxe

Unread postby silkear » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:45 am

On my '84, i replaced the original axle with the later heavy duty one(from an '88). at that time i had the leafs rearched and an additional leaf added. I believe that the additional leaf was from a Ford F150 add-a-leaf kit, and turns out to be within 2mm's width of the originals. I also upgraded the rear shocks to the Monroe #555020 Thanks to the info that Lou(Trafic)) posted about them. I have had a few folks ask for recommendations on that rear shocks, and have found that the 555020 is no longer made. If you can find them, buy a set.
here is some additional tech info on the rear shocks;
for the MA815 & 550051; top stud is 3/8"-16, the bottom is a 5/8dia by 1-5/16" sleeveless rubber mount. they are 12 3/8" compressed and 19 7/8" fully extended. the max travel(usable) is 7 5/8". These are made for the 1990-2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
for the 555020; top stud is 1/2"-13, the bottom is a sleeved rubber mounting, 1/2"id by 1-1/2" long. they are 13-1/2" compressed and 22" expanded. the max travel is 9". these fit the 1980-1991 Ford E350 Van

The MA815/555020 will probably work well for all highway driving, but you will want to watch out if you have to change a tire or otherwise force the shock to fully extended. a good pothole hit might destroy these shocks.

just more info for the group!
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Unread postby silkear » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:12 am

i compiled a lot of the information from my own rebuild and other's experiences and have posted them on my webpage. it is a better description of the rear axle adventure on the "Silkear". the info there can be applied to either the Mopar or GM conversion. go to http://silkear.com/ the Tires, Rims & Suspension page. any corrections or additions are appreciated!
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Unread postby Trafic » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:38 pm

The Monroe 555020 shocks are a direct replacement for 1991 Ford e350 vans their compressed and extended lenght and rate of travel is compatable with the original factory shocks fitted on the LeSharo but the Monroes add 1000lbs of extra cargo capacity and in most cases raise the back of the unit to level. The heavy duty rear axle rear axle on the LeSharo is rated for an even higher capacity that them Monore shocks add.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=294304

Although production was stopped for a short time, the Monroe 555020 is still made as it is used on newer econoline e350 vans, currently you can purchase them for $49 each from justsuspension.com
They also carry the front struts (Monroe 71975 Left) and (Monroe 71974 Right) $40 each, shipping via ground is free. This was the best deal I could find as of today.

http://justsuspension.com/monroe-555020.html
Lou
Winnebago LeSharo Wanderer
Delray Beach Fl, USA
Trafic

Next