Need help with brakes

This forum is for anything related to the Le'Sharo coach itself. Anything Winnebago Coach area: wiring, house battery, Roof, plumbing, appliances, problems and/or other ideas or suggestions. Anything that doesn't deal with the engine or transmission.

Need help with brakes

Unread postby MelvinB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:24 am

I have a 1987 Le'Sharo RV that I just about have to stand up on the brake peddle to stop. I have replaced the master cylinder with a brand new one, and blead the system and have new fluid in it. I had no trouble bleeding it but still takes a lot to stop it. I'm thinking along the lines that the front calipers are not working properly or the power assist may be the problem. The wheels will not lock up . I also noticed there is a brake limiter on the rear brakes.
I also have a other problem which may or may not have anything to do with the brakes, but when I first start it from cold it does not idle correctly and have to keep foot on the gas. Other wise it stalls out. I've tried adjusting the air bypass and it doesn't make any difference in the idle at all no matter where it's adjusted to. Once it warms up it runs fine. It has the 2,2 L 4 cylinder motor.
MelvinB

Re: Need help with brakes

Unread postby DHCowboy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:06 pm

With the running problem, it does lead me to think it couldn't hurt to follow the vacuum line from the master cylinder booster to wherever it attaches to the intake. Many of these have old, brittle lines which may crack, or even snap off at the base and allow air into the intake which isn't then accountable for by the ignition system, plus if that particular line was bad, you would have no vacuum at the booster - making the brakes hard to apply..
DHCowboy

Unread postby jaymaechtlen » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:36 am

If you have good pedal, but it doesn't stop well - that sounds like the power brakes not working.
(forgive me if I overstep, I've worked on a variety of vehicles over the last 50 years, but not Lesharos until now)
I'd think either the booster isn't getting vacuum, or it has a problem itself.
When idling, sometimes a gas engine will speed up or slow down when you hit the brakes a few times - you dump extra air in there and mess up the mixture.
If you hit the brake pedal a few times and the engine doesn't respond somehow, then the booster isn't doing anything?
Let us know what you find!
Jay
Jay Maechtlen
Main project is a 3800-powered Corvair, runs great!
Located in sunny SoCal
www.laserpubs.com
jaymaechtlen

Unread postby MelvinB » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:17 am

Thank you for the replies. I am leaning towards the brake booster, but I came across the article about bleeding the brakes and reliysed I have the two brake bleeders. I believe the top one was never blead . so I'm going to try that first and see what happens, Gee it would have been nice if the so called shop service manual was forth coming about that. This thing was sitting for a long time and we had to do a lot of work to get it running, including getting a custom made pick up unit for the gas tank . flushing and cleaning the tank and fuel line, injectors were clogged ,some vacume hoses replaced. Custom AC hoses to the upper AC unit. Temperature sensors, Oil, transmission fluid , gear oils , brake fluids, master cylinder, roof AC unit . Had to make a speedometer cable from a universal one and had to disconnect the broken cruse control sensor. Now if the rain and cold weather stops for a while I can get on the brakes .
MelvinB

Unread postby jaymaechtlen » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:33 am

if the pedal is hard, then it does not need bleeding.
Air in the lines will make the pedal soft, and that's when you need to bleed it.

It might be instructive to put a vacuum gauge on the like going to the booster.
Also, I'll assume there's a check valve/fitting at the booster itself - is it functional?

Again, if there is no change in the engine's idle speed when you're parked and stomping on the brakes, the booster system has a problem.
Jay Maechtlen
Main project is a 3800-powered Corvair, runs great!
Located in sunny SoCal
www.laserpubs.com
jaymaechtlen