Solar Systems

This forum is for anything related to the Le'Sharo coach itself. Anything Winnebago Coach area: wiring, house battery, Roof, plumbing, appliances, problems and/or other ideas or suggestions. Anything that doesn't deal with the engine or transmission.

Solar Systems

Unread postby Phasar » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:25 pm

For those that have installed solar panels on their Lesharo's would you be willing to post up your setups?
Panel make and models. Theoretical output vs' actual output. How you mounted them, ran the wires etc.. charge controller used and mounting. Inverter used. Basically your entire system start to finish with pictures and/or video.

Thanks
Phasar

Re: Solar Systems

Unread postby Ray Charbonneau » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:49 pm

To all,
Here's the pics of the Solar System installed by the previous owner on my LeSharo.
Rooftop View:
Wires through the antenna hole:
Charge Controller Documents:
Solar Panel Documents:

A couple of things to note;
1. The antenna was deleted in order to mount the panel.
2. The controller is located just inside the door, will get a pic later.
3. DON"T use roof coating as done by previous owner, it blisters in the sun.
4. I want to add a digital voltage meter.
5. This is connected to 2 deep cycle batteries.

This solar system was one of the reasons I decided to buy this unit.
Ray
Ray Charbonneau
Winter Haven, FL
"WinneBuick"
1988 Winnebago LeSharo w/ Buick 3.8
Ray Charbonneau

Unread postby populuxe » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:52 pm

http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1226

This pretty much covers it for my system. Not sure of the actual numbers, but it works.
Make sure you don't over-do the controller--it should be reasonably close to your panel output, don't get something that can handle 20 amps when your only putting out 5.

I see you can get a mppt charge controller with an amazing LCD interface on ebay for about $50
use key word "mppt"
Chris Christensen Wisconsin, USA
88 LeSharo
01 Villager minivan
80 Vespa
populuxe

Unread postby Phasar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:02 am

Thanks for sharing your setups.. hopefully more will be added.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25705772.cfm

..some successful setups referenced.

Mounting:

Still researching, looks like VHB Tape may be strong enough on its own.
Phasar

Unread postby Phasar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:05 am

12v panels or 24v + high voltage panels w/ MPPT? It appears there are some advantages to going with high voltage panels.. still researching
Phasar

Unread postby teren » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:05 am

Phasar wrote:12v panels or 24v + high voltage panels w/ MPPT? It appears there are some advantages to going with high voltage panels.. still researching

Hello,

Can you please tell me how to install solar panel??
And also can you please give me any idea about solar panel charging with the dual battery??
teren

Unread postby ivancou » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:57 am

There is a product called "sticky feet " made for mounting panels using vhb tape .They are also adjustable so the can be angled slightly which is good .
On another group there was a discussion about this but they were mounting panels on a fiberglass roof and it caused the gel coat to peel along with some fibreglass which ended in catastrophic failure of the whole setup . On the same group it has now been recognized by the factory that some reinenforcement is required underneath the roof to distribute the wind load . SO plywood backers are now bonded to the inside of the roof at the factory.
I would think that even though the Lesharo is aluminum some extra backing would be necessary if you want it to stay put . Remember that roof is a very thin skin of aluminum with foam insulation glued to it with only 4 bows to support it . Not a very strong setup . Think of it this way , even the roof vents and tv antenna have wood backers togive something for the mounting screws to bite into . I had pondered this for my Phasar till it burned .We have spent several nights in places without electric and it would've been handy to have solar . Ivan
ivancou

Unread postby mloganusda » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:36 am

You are correct about the strength of the roof for supporting any modifications. My 86' LS did not come with a TV antenna and I added one using an aluminum backing plate bolted to two of the support cross members. I then mounted the TV mounting plate to this aluminum plate and never had a problem. My understanding of solar panels is that they build up heat and need to be mounted above the surface to allow air to circulate underneath for cooling. You need at least a 150-250 watt solar panel to run your 12v fridge without shore power. You can see where I was going to mount a solar panel but did not because of space limitation.
Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas
Now 04' Rialta
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Unread postby ejeff » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:09 am

I'm with Phasr. I have never used, designed, or built a solar system but I like the idea to be able to camp off-grid and still have most of the comforts of home. My goal is to make my camper into an off-grid unit with enough solar to provide for an extended stay. I’m in the process of partially gutting the interior to clean and update so I’m going to prewire the coach for solar. I want to be able to unplug the panels so I’m going to try and find the connectors shown at this site for the through-the-roof connection. http://www.camperize.com/solar-panel-mounting.html. I’m taking out the motor aid and furnace, so that space is where I’m going to mount the wire/fuse distribution panel, controller, and inverter. Maybe use the furnace vent for an exhaust fan to extract heat produced from the solar power equipment. The shore power plug will be used for the AC so the existing inverter can be removed and replaced with a breaker switch.

I would like to know on the solar powered coaches were they installed the batteries and what type? If they included the original coach battery and compartment in the design and if so what was the circuitry involved interfacing with the Renault charging system. Living is Iowa I am familiar with PowerFilm http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/and own a small 12V unit for battery charging I take on my bike when cycle touring, hey I do use a solar system after all, and thought about sticking them on top instead of the framed panels. Ed
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff

Unread postby Rick H » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:32 am

Ejeff,
Look at this post, on page 15 there are some great ideas there by Wanderer as he is fixing up his coach.
http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=774&start=140
This should give you another view of inverters and battery systems. Actually the whole post is a good read.
Enjoy,
Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H