lesharo auto transmission

Questions or problems on your Lesharo.

lesharo auto transmission

Unread postby sakedude » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:31 am

Who made the auto transaxle for renault. I checked The auto trans service group for manuals to prepare to rebuild a trans. They are an excellent source of technical manuals for just about any trans made except renault is not listed as a trans builder. Anyone know who made it or has a model number to order parts from?
87 2.2gas/auto
sakedude

Re: lesharo auto transmission

Unread postby Trafic » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:24 pm

sakedude wrote:Who made the auto transaxle for renault. I checked The auto trans service group for manuals to prepare to rebuild a trans. They are an excellent source of technical manuals for just about any trans made except renault is not listed as a trans builder. Anyone know who made it or has a model number to order parts from?

Renault makes the automatic transmission they are the type MB - type MJ and type ME which are the strongest ones and came in the late 1989 to 1992 models. They are marked ME1-000 but are basically a heavier duty MJ, these have a revised valve body and heavy duty bearings, even on the differential. The ME1- series are generally trouble free for the first 150,000 miles. The MB, MJ and ME transmissions use the same clutches and steels but the MB has different gaskets than the MJ and ME. The MJ transmission is used on most automatic LeSharos until mid 1989 with the ME transmission used on the very last units. The MB case is transverse and the MJ and ME are longitudinal. A rebuild master parts kit for the MJ and ME with all clutches, steels and gaskets was available from Transtar for about $500 the part number is k7100a. Here are some pictures and diagrams.

Last edited by Trafic on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lou
Winnebago LeSharo Wanderer
Delray Beach Fl, USA
Trafic

Unread postby reubenvr » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Lou,

I inherited a 1985 LS from my dad and the trainy is leaking ATF from the vacuum capsule (part # 160 on the exploded view). I am planning to remove it and put a non-drying gasket cement on it. When I put it back, how many turns should I back it out after screwing it in all the way?

Thanks for your wisdom that you share on this forum.

Reuben
San Jose, Ca
Regards,

Reuben
San Jose, Ca
1985 Winnebago Elandan
1985 Mobile Traveler Jubilee
1985 Winnebago LeSharo
1972 Opel GT
reubenvr

Unread postby Trafic » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:52 pm

reubenvr wrote:Lou,

I inherited a 1985 LS from my dad and the trainy is leaking ATF from the vacuum capsule (part # 160 on the exploded view). I am planning to remove it and put a non-drying gasket cement on it. When I put it back, how many turns should I back it out after screwing it in all the way?

Thanks for your wisdom that you share on this forum.

Reuben
San Jose, Ca

Hello Reuben :
If you have not removed the Vacuum Capsule:Check to make sure that it is leaking from the mounting base and not the center area and also check to make sure it holds a vacuum. If it is leaking from the center or if it does not hold a vacuum: do not remove it until you get a new one. They show up on eBay sometimes at a good price otherwise its Mobility or Greg.
The Vacuum Capsule has a locking tab that has an indicator on it; mark the locking tab (bracket) that holds the Capsule in place and the Capsule itself at the point where the indicator and the capsule meet with a little paint. Also mark the side of the capsule at its base with paint. Once the paint dries count the turns as you remove it. It should be 2.5 to 3 turns. The paint will save you the trouble of adapting and attaching a gauge to adjust the Capsule.
If you are installing your old Capsule: screw it in until the paint marks line up.

INSTALL:
The Capsule has an O on the body replace it; then use a little transmission oil to lubricate the O ring and body and it should take care of the leak.

For a new Capsule: Screw in the Capsule 2.5 to 3 turns and attach the locking plate.

ADJUSTMENT:
The vacuum Capsule regulates the pressure of the transmission fluid depending on how much vacuum it gets from the engine. The way to check if you have the correct pressure is to connect a gauge to the transmission by removing the plug illustrated and attach an adapter with an attached hose that is long enough to reach the inside of the vehicle and connect a Bar gauge to the other end of the hose. Then you drive the RV until warm and select 2nd gear. While driving in second gear at 50mph the correct pressure should be 4.6 bars. To increase pressure your turn the Capsule clock wise and counter clockwise to decrease pressure. Every two notches (as indicated by the locking tab) is 0.1 bars.

I know it can sound complicated so email me if you have any questions, I will try to help.
Lou
Lou
Winnebago LeSharo Wanderer
Delray Beach Fl, USA
Trafic