86 turbo diesel coach power issue

Questions or problems on your Lesharo.

86 turbo diesel coach power issue

Unread postby mattiosmaximos » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:29 pm

I've had my Lesharo for awhile and I believe the issue is relay related.
The coach power only comes on when plugged into 110 or while the rv is running and the M.O.M switch is held down.
Nothing happens in Dual switch mode and I've checked the breaker box. The fuses to the left of the wheel look fine also.
For the life of me I can't figure out where the relay is for the coach.
I bought a new 5 pin 30A relay as I guessed that is what I needed.
I also replaced the On,Off,On switch (M,O,M dual) with a 30 amp toggle and that didn't fix it either.
I pulled the coach battery and it's holding a charge. 2014 deep cycle.

Thanks for any help, we are heading out for a camping trip on the 4th.
mattiosmaximos

Re: 86 turbo diesel coach power issue

Unread postby IdahoBob » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:34 am

/
i had the same thing when I first got my 84 TD. The house battery was completely shot.

After searhing I found it UNDER the passenger seat, only accessible from the bottom of the RV.

Mark (IdahoBob)
IdahoBob

Unread postby IdahoBob » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:48 am

/
Just noticed you did check the house battery and it was ok?

Might then be the contactor in your converter. check voltages on all the 12v house fuses in it, both with and without shore power. If only one fuse (battery fuse) has 12v without shore power, then you need a new converter.

Oh, the ones now are 100x beter than what Winne put in back in the mid 80'a.

Mark (IdahoBob)
IdahoBob

Unread postby mattiosmaximos » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 am

The converter is the fuse box with the breakers in the back? Your saying the whole panel may need to be replaced? Any brand you recommend? Oh and yes I pulled the coach battery and it had power.
mattiosmaximos

Unread postby IdahoBob » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 am

The converter is inside the oower part of that box in the back. its transformer is what causes the humming from it when you are on shore power.

It could be just dirty contacts on the contactor or relay in the converter.

Maybe this will help

https://rvshare.com/blog/the-ultimate-rv-power-converter-guide-3/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLmEaz8SGn8

Mark (IdahoBob)
IdahoBob

Unread postby IdahoBob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:24 pm

/
I've gotten super deep into a simular system (84 TD), including doing some major trouble shooting as well as serious solar upgrade. I know it pretty well.

I'm pretty sure I can help you, but I need your help to do it.

Now that I've had a little more time to think of your problem, and the more I read your original description, the more it confuses me.

I think you need to pull back, and "divide and conquer" the entire situation. Figure out what is truly working, and when, and what is not. There is probably a single cause, that once found fixes everything, but finding it... hum.....

For example, the Dual/Mom(entary) combiner switch is a really simple affair. There is a large "Starter Relay" (sometimes called a Contacter) on the firewall above the car battery, that is controlled by this switch. One wire (small white) from the switch goes to the relay that when has 12V on it, causes both batteries to be connected together. The two large studs on ether side (wired to both batteries) get connected together.
In MOM(entary), the 12V from the house battery is used. In DUAL the ignition 12V is used, from the car battery.

In your description, you say if you hold down the MOM, you have house power, but nothing in DUAL. This makes no sense because the MOM should be powered off the house battery, which the house is also powered. Can't turn on the power, without power.

Where are you testing the house power?

The DUAL only works while the engine is running. Test again to see if you can get the house power with the engine running.

So tell me how you are sensing house power, and if the dual works also when the engine is running.

Mark (IdahoBob)
IdahoBob

Unread postby mattiosmaximos » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:53 am

Update, okay so I found a loose wire on the MOM switch which fixed the power while running. So now when I start the winnie and flip the switch up to dual the coach has power. I know the wires you speak of and I replaced the battery isolator they connect to. The white wire in the middle and purple on the coach battery, orange on the main battery. So as it sits now I can have power while the engine is running and the dual is on but I think I need to drop the coach battery and check it again because I dont have coach power when parked.
mattiosmaximos

Unread postby IdahoBob » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:56 am

YEAH! You can now change both batteries whle on the toad!
Rather than pulling the house battery, you can read the voltage on the large relay that the white wire goes to. One of the large terminals goes to the car (left when looking from the front) and the right goes to the house battery.
check with and without a load. ( I use the vent fan because you can hear iy chang speeds.)
also check when on shore power that it is getting charged then too.

Your symptoms still sound like a bad house battery. Mad worse by not being charged by the alternator while going down the road.

Mark (IdahoBob)
IdahoBob

Unread postby IdahoBob » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:03 pm

/
Did you get your power issued fixed?

Mark (IdahoBob)
IdahoBob