Cannot find any way to drain fresh water tank

Questions or problems on your Lesharo.

Cannot find any way to drain fresh water tank

Unread postby BamaBoy » Sat May 12, 2018 9:17 am

I recently bought a 1988 LeSharo, gasoline 5-speed, from a neighbor. It's in great shape cosmetically, has pretty low mileage, and runs very well—but it does have a few anomalies.

One of them is that I have crawled and cursed everywhere trying to find a way to drain the fresh water tank so I can sanitize it. The original user manual came with the vehicle, and I guarantee that what is under that passenger-side dinette seat is NOT what is pictured in the manual.

In the first place, there are zero little plugs-with-ring-pulls on the plumbing lines coming out of either side of the water pump. There is ONE little plug with a ring pull on a short piece of "pipe" that seems to come out of the bottom of the tank, inboard, but it does absolutely nothing. I think that may be where the water pump *originally* connected to the tank, and has been sealed off, but don't know. (It's essentially impossible so far to get even reasonable access under that seat, so all I can do is look with a flashlight, and feel around with one arm—which is scraped up all to **** from the hardware under that seat.)

I have a suspicion that someone may have replaced the water pump at some point, and didn't bother to install any drain plugs! I hope I'm wrong, but one thing is for certain: it is NOT a factory-styled install, and at this point I am stumped. Any ideas?
BamaBoy

Re: Cannot find any way to drain fresh water tank

Unread postby hasben » Sun May 13, 2018 9:05 pm

In the Fall, I park mine on a downward grade with the left rear tire on a 3" block then run the pump till it sputters. Add 1 gal. of antifreeze, run all faucets and the toilet to fill the pipes, drain the holding tanks and I'm done. In the Spring I add a few gallons of bleach water to flush the lines and I'm good to go. I never use the water for drinking and I don't have a water heater.
hasben

Re: Cannot find any way to drain fresh water tank

Unread postby IdahoBob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 pm

/
Simplest way to drain the fresh water, is though the pump.

I don't have a greywater tank, so I can just run the sink, and the water then drains out the grey water line.

Alternatively, you could run the shower, spraying out the side door.

Its sad how quick you can drain your tank this way.

The other is to pull the ring on the tank drain. My 84 TD has it located under a bench, between the tank and the pump.

Mark
IdahoBob