4x4 Lesharo for sale on rvtraderonline

For Sale or Wanted Posts here in this forum. Please remember that this forum is for items owned by or items that will be represented by a Forum Member. Keep it on topic.

4x4 Lesharo for sale on rvtraderonline

Unread postby jrigger » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:03 pm

jrigger

Re: 4x4 Lesharo for sale on rvtraderonline

Unread postby Terry » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:51 pm

Yeah, she is a beut. I'm not a fan of the carburetor and the 350 swap, but it should be strong. There is no mention to transmission but I assume it is the original Safari on the 4.3L. It has the basics and could use an rv'er to move in and add some niceties. I'll bet gas mileage is pretty darn poor though.

1984 Lesharo, 3.8 Chrysler, Plano, Texas, USA
Terry
Site Admin

Articles: 7

Unread postby Phasar » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Now that's nifty...
Phasar

Unread postby Terry » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Here are some more photos.

What can we learn from these. Is that the donor van frame underneath with the Lesharo frame resting on top essentially providing the body lift here? I'm trying to get a good idea of how this conversion was done. I see no 4x4 shifter so I guess it was done as an AWD. I'm not quite sure how those systems actually work. Sounds like it might be a gas hog in the end.

That body has a bit of rust on it unfortunately.
Terry
Site Admin

Unread postby Terry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 pm

I spoke to the owner of this unit a week or two back. It has an amazing kewl factor that the geek inside of me cant resist, but I have decided to not have interest in this unit. For me, it falls short in many ways where I just cant make do.

So here is what I gleaned:

Brett, some questions about the rig, take your time. I am very familiar with stock Lesharos. - Terry

I'm going to try to answer all these questions but I'm not all that mechanically inclined so I may struggle. To be honest this is one of the reasons I'm selling the camper.; I thought I would enjoy finishing off the restoration but now that I have a new baby and resently got married I just don't have the time.

1. Did you make the conversion yourself? I did not do the majority of the conversion. I bought this from a guy in upstate NY who inquired the vehical from a gentlemen that owed him money. I would say the conversion was 80% done when I bought it. What I did was put a rebuilt heavier duty 4 speed transmission , had the wheels custom made in Cali , with all new 33" tires. I had to put a new exsust on , fix the ebrake , added the top and back rack with ladder, added the stereo and speakers
2. What was the intent for the vehicle? Why was it created?I can only tell you why I bought it and was to camp with my family and friends in locations that required a 4x4
3. Can you send me some more photos detailing the conversion, perhaps stuff like when the safari was cut in half, assembling, the mods you had to do on the Lesharo body, steering, brake lines... not sure
4. Is the apparent 'lift" of the vehicle actually simply due to the placing of the Lesharo on top of the Safari frame or was there more done here to lift it? I'm not really sure
5. So everything drivetrain is now Safari right, including full drivetrain, gas tank, steering system, brakes, anything vacuum operated, wheels, rotors, axles, ... not sure , i do believe everything is GMC.
6. The Safari frame must have been extended including drive shaft, brake lines, gas tank lines, wires..? I didn't do it so I'm not sure.
7. Was the engine air conditioner hooked up? No , the AC is there but not hooked up
8. Was the heater core hooked up? No.
9. Any cooling issues? Is she ready for the desert or slow crawling? TEXAS. NA
10. Is there a genset, and working? NA
11. I noticed a ton of rust underneath on the Lesharo body/frame. That concerns me. do you have any thoughts or input on this? It's never an issue where I am from so I am not familiar with expectations or preventatives. Everything has rust on it up here. Rust can be removed and repainted
12. Any ideas on gas mileage? 9-11 MPG
13. I suspect being taller and on fat tires that she might be a little bit tougher of a drive on the highway especially in a wind. My Dodge van gets blown all over the damn road and it can get frustrating. How's it track down the highway? It does better than you would expect.
14. Are all safety inspection systems working: wipers, lights, horn, reverse lights, brakes, windows, doors, seatbelts, ...YES
15. Is she ready to drive back to Texas without issue? The biggest issue with this vehical is that has n't been driven much at all over the last year. I would lying if I said I knew for a fact you would be able to go over 1500 miles without any issues.
16. Is the rear deck removable? Yes , 2 hitch recevers
17. Trailer hitch? No
18. Obviously it has the black holding tank, but is there a gray tank as well? Yes
19. What coach items are not working: engine cabin heater- no, propane heater- no, stove, fridge- no , converter/charger- works, coach battery, lights, clock, ..these work .
20. Is there a coach/second battery? To my knowlegde no
21. Do the rear windows have mesh bug screens or are they missing? Yes they have screens
22. I guess the stock screen door is missing? yes it is missing
23. Can the oil/trans/steering/brake/coolant be checked from the hood or what else needs to be accessed from the inside engine cover? not sure.
Terry
Site Admin

Unread postby southmineral » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Hello, Is this still for sale. What is the price and condition of it. Thanks Southmineral
southmineral

Unread postby Rick H » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Go to the first post, top, and click on the link. It appears to be for sale still.
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANA'z Bus'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H